Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Do You Like Noah?

On April 18th I wrote that I left work thinking I hadn’t done very much.  My friend and I interacted at MV.  She said that she was at the bike shop.  I had decided to go home but agreed to keep in touch.  I had left my bike at Mib but had little trouble getting out to the Sunset and through the fog to the house.

I immediately started posting and editing.  Dad checked in with me at some point and my friend texted to say she was doing other stuff.  I worried about whether I’d get out to the Mission that night.  Later we agreed to meet and I did a few things before leaving.  On the way two guys at Market and Octavia chased me.

We went for Ramen on 16th and sat at the bar.  I was jealous of the item she had ordered.  We had a discussion about tips.  Later we went to Thieves and had the special.  I was done for the night at that point but my friend’s roommate came by right after that and they traded dirt.  I mentioned that I thought the roommate’s comedy routine was good.  I was in bed before I knew it—around 11.

On the morning of the day that I wrote this I was up at 10 and went to Four Barrel with a friend.  I had to eat a chocolate rather than a pistachio pastry and was bummed about it.  My friend suggested we walk to 18th and look for something else.  Tartine and Birite didn’t have what I wanted—I was on the lookout for blood sausage too.

On Dolores we met a dog and then a girl with the dog.  They passed us and then we saw a lady and a man chiding her for something.  There had been an event put on by a union so a lot of people were walking around including a cop that was very involved.  My friend believed that the lady was a busy body that had grabbed the girl’s dog.  We both believed that the cop just happened to be there.  My friend was very affected by the interaction.

After that I was working on my presentation for the AAG.  In the interim I saw a few people and even had coffee with an acquaintance.  However, I eventually had to give up on work and a traveling companion joined me for a trip from the Ferry Building.  The bike ride was easy but there was a lot of traffic but I was too confrontational.  At the Ferry Building we got empanadas and spoke to a real porteño before heading to the boat.  We talked about family.

From Larkspur Landing we took Cal Park Hill Tunnel to Dubois and through the San Rafael transit center to the Lincoln Avenue bike path.  We missed the turn off at the top but the route was easy to follow.  While passing through Northgate Mall I went to the bank.  We then took Las Gaillinas past Freitas.  It was there that the chain on my companion’s bike got stuck.  I had to take the wheel off to fix it.  Later at Marinwood Market we had to rest for water.  We then took the Highway 101 path to Alameda del Prado, Ignacio and finally Sunset.  Around Pacheco Plaza my companion had to check the map.

The people we had gone to meet were friend’s of my companion.  They lived near the western edge of Novato and it took us a bit to get there.  Our host greeted us at the front and we parked in the garage near her husband’s 1971 240.  I met her daughter and their high school friend.  He and I talked about Humboldt State and sat out back with the dogs.

The husband, our host, showed up then with pizza and we sat down for a civilized meal outside.  They offered us some antique whiskys that were actually pretty good.  One was in a ceramic telephone and I was pretty sure it was Jim Beam.  The daughter ragged on my companion for a while and eventually we went inside.

They had some interesting furniture there and the daughter didn’t like me playing with her toys.  We played a game that our hostess liked.  It was called “Pass the Can” and involved asking questions like “Do you like Noah?” on a piece of paper and then someone has to answer it when it is their turn.  I thought the game was super fun but no one else but our hostess did.  Our host fell asleep.  I submitted questions that I heard people say in passing.  “What?” “Are we done?” and “Where is the chocolate cake?” were several that I liked.

Around 10 the high school friend said bye and my companion and I bid adieu and we rode to Novato’s central bus stop to catch a 101 bus home.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment