Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Rockhopper’s Frame had Cracked

On the eighteenth of February, I wrote that I posted and went to Thai food for veggies and chicken curry.  I gave a lady advice on taking the train to Civic Center.  At home I showed my friend my 012014 post on showcasing advocacy and then watched TV.

I interacted with her again the next day and was up by 10.  I had breakfast, printed a resume, checked in on the parents and then rode to the park where I had an incident at the Middle and MLK intersection.  While passing through the Presidio, I got a call and an email for a job in Burlingame.  I crossed the bridge and made it to Sausalito in an hour.  I felt something funny on the path to Mill Valley but couldn’t see anything wrong with the Rockhopper’s rims.  The ride was one and a half hours.

I went to Blythdale and after a bit and a call I was parked and sitting with the executive at a geo-data firm.  He cleared a space in his 5 person office and we talked.  Immediately I noted that I should have looked at his website and brought a better resume.  He said he had an ok analyst and needed a competent supervisor.  I told him about my skills and then he explained the process: intake, formatting, QC and upload.  There were also three BPOEs and a webtool service.  He described more potential for sales and marketing.  I assured him that I was competent in all of these things: my schooling, my other interviews, my experiences including those with his business and also geodemographic data.

We shared our problems with the firm I had last worked at and he told me his back story with the biggest mapping software firm.  He also covered how he felt about big data and CADD companies.  He described his own relationships with federal procurers and officials and noted that he had gone to academic conferences but that there were other, better, venues.  He said he had patents and needed to make good on his legacy.  I thought he made a lot of blustery talk but didn’t let my skepticism show.

He had asked what I wanted and eventually put the question of compensation to me.  I told him the range and made it clear that I had had offers.  He wasn’t entirely sold at that point but did say he had some benefits.  I assured him that the job looked good and I was interested.  He returned to some of the previous bluster and then spoke of his analyst and PR guy.  After that he basically said I was expensive, that he would check his other options and that I should check with him on Friday.  Then he introduced me to the PR guy and I left.

I discovered outside that the Rockhopper’s frame had cracked.  When I told my friends, they asked what happened.  I said it was a bump and not a fall.  By the time the messaging had stopped I was almost to Sausalito.  Boarding the boat I saw the bartender I had met in that town.  I then rode carefully up Market after this and hopped a 16x.  I then and learned that my buddy was with her former roomy in Oakland and my parents were having waffles—for dinner.

I had some of them when I got home but decided that they weren’t enough.  So after telling them about the bike I walked to Celia’s to have a bit to eat.  There were a lot of young people there and it was really crowded.  I saw a lady that comes to Java Beach a lot.  I went home and watched TV.

I woke up at 330 with misgivings about my future.  At 10 I spoke to a recruiter and then rode the Surly to Java Beach to have coffee and read a paper.  I started into work at home then.  I noted that I had spoken to dad about his needs for the next day and also to complain about my commute.  I also noted that they went to Best Buy and may have purchased a drive for me.

I interacted a bit with my friend in the mission because I was planning to be at Pedal Revolution by 5.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment