Sunday, March 8, 2015

Polo Fields and Spreckle’s

I wrote that I went up to ask mom about her dinner with the my sister’s family and then got the bike and rode to 9th and Irving to have a chicken sandwich.  I had some drinks and waited til a friend told me to go to the mystery ride.  I was surprised she wanted to go.

We climbed up to Alamo square and met my friends from the Tweed Ride.  Interestingly enough the leader and his girlfriend were people we had seen at the Tweed ride too.  We took Fulton and then entered the park.  We wandered around the conservatory and Academy.  Then we passed the water fall and headed to the Polo Fields and Spreckle’s Lake, which we circled twice.  After one more lap around the Polo Field’s we ended the ride at the angler pools.

A Bike Partier gave me a beer and I introduced him to my friend.  There were Dutch style waffles and a jazz band.  I asked a lot of people what they thought of AB192.  My friend tried to divert me from that after a short time.  Six of us rode to the band shell and then four of us rode to Duboce.  When we left the last of the group I noted that they had had an affect on my firend’s desire to attend Bike Party.

Next morning, I went with a friend at Hog and Rocks for brunch.  Of course I had to order more food to sate my appetite.  We went to Thrift Town and I found some pants and then, at Cary Lane, I found a hat I liked.  We aslo talked about going on a trip together.  Then, after speaking to her roommates about dinner, we went shopping then.

We split up to make the shopping easier and I stopped at one of the local shops to find a couple of things.  I had told her that I wanted to get her a coffee grinder based upon her interest in coffee.  However, I later noted that buying a new one wasn’t necessarily a good idea.  That was when I realized that I had an extra one at home.  When we were done we sat down for some great Nepali food and listened to a fundraising pitch for an Nepali Art Collective.  Also, we had some made delicious drinks made from Rum and Shrub.  Later we drank tea and talked.

This morning I met a friend at Four Barrel and then headed downtown.  However, I realized too late that the shops would not be open until 11 so I sat at Peet’s and read the paper.  An hour or two later I called a recruiter and then went to Union Square.  I went to Macy’s, where they had the strangest deal: if I came in two days later I would get a discount.  Very strange.  I went to H+M but they didn’t have what I wanted so I got something else.

I then stopped in a coffee shop to look at Twitter.  I had been having a discussion on Twitter about a supervisor’s Medium article about upping housing supply.  I wanted to know about measuring housing supply but most of the contributors seemed interested in squabbling.  I asked about in-laws, shares and unleased or foreclosed spaces.  I noted that there is an insider/outsider dichotomy in the discussion.  One contributor said that measuring the supply of housing should consider the tax rolls and another said that demand must be considered.

I rode my bike to Huckleberry and noted that I should always include all of the options I want when buying a Brompton because they are locked in at that point.  The guy I spoke to said that last year’s demo was severely discounted.  I also looked at an All City Space Horse and sent a pic to my friend.

I rode up the Wiggle and then to the Park.  I told a bus driver that he was parked in the wrong place and he didn’t want to move.  I blocked traffic and he acted tough but when people started yelling and honking he got back in the driver’s seat and moved it.  A gardener had just run up when I was leaving.

I went to Swell and the mechanic gave me his Dahon to ride.  I said that the bike had a tendency to tip forward when I hit the brakes.  He explained that I was too tall for 12 inch wheels.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment