Monday, January 26, 2015

Pirates Play for Cheap

I wrote that I left at 530 and took a bus to PHill.  I got off at Embarcadero and dumped a lot of stuff with my bike.  I put the bike back and went to Civic Center and walked down 8th and some allys to Radius where I ordered a sandwich from the barrista and sat with the people.  I also got to see a number of friends that I knew from Twitter and other places.  I sent messages to all of them and left using our hashtag.  I remember one guy told me that I had a lot of potential in SF and that it didn’t have to be a GIS job.  I agreed.

I had been sending messages to my two friends.  One was a Twitter friend the other I had known for a long time.  I started to go to the Latin American Club.  It was a long way but my twitter friend said he was late.  We found a table eventually and I spoke to some random guy who told me to look into the Green Info Network.  My old friend, who had gone to the 500, was not very interested in meeting us so I gave up on him.  My twitter friend and I walked to the new mini golf pub and gallery.  Then we went to Shotwells.  We talked about the city there and how he and his wife had an okay place but if the landlord died they would consider moving to Portland.  After he went home I went to the Uptown.  I spoke to a regular about intro to geography for kids.  I described urban- and geomorphology to her.  After that I walked to BART and then took the L.  I was in bed around 11.

The next morning I was up at 1020 and had received messages from an old college classmate and a high school friend.  I made plans with the first and told Erin to meet me when she got to SF.  I told dad I was being laid off and looked at the magazine.  I walked to Java Beach and had a croissant and coffee.  I sent a message to another college classmate about the Redwood Mafia and then took the N to Union Square.  There I met my high school friend and we walked to de La Presse and le Central but finally settled on Roxanne Café to play catch up.  We talked about her time in Portland and old HS classmates.  In regards to college she said she used to hang out with the football team because everyone in Coeur d'Alene is a hick.

We walked to Union Square and watched ice skating and had more coffee.  She told me about her job as a supervisor for an agency that trains guide dogs.  I noted that there was a lot of competition for tables and chairs where we were sitting.  She started to connect the dots for me between school and family.  Then we walked through the Stockton Tunnel and Chinatown.  We went to Visuvio and I ordered drinks.  Her friend owned the restaurant upstairs.  We went to Giordano and talked about relationships over sandwiches.  Her mom was from Punxsutawney and she had had to visit Pittburgh.  She had seen the Pirates play for cheap.  She loves sports.  She said that there was a San Franpsycho on Grant but we went to the map shop and the tailor instead.  The latter showed me a bunch of fabrics and I will return.  Then we went to Specs and she had to catch her boat.  I walked with her to the Ferries and then I checked the weather and decided to get my bike.  I ended up taking the train to Civic and then it was actually raining so I got wet riding home.  At the house dad was trying to watch a terrible game and my brother and his wife were talking to him and mom.

I suggested we ask my brother in law to go to the Phily Club and he declined via my sister.  Dad drove my brother and I.  We saw my some high school classmates of mine.  My brother and I talked about ladies, jobs and the family.  I had a number of drinks.  I noted that we left around then too—I checked the time and the L train came pretty quick.

On the day that I wrote this I was up at around 830 and Joe was making breakfast.  I sat and read the paper.  My sister-in-law came back from her run around then and Mom and Dad were sitting with us.  I did some laundry and eventually my brother and his wife made plans to leave for a thrift store.  I rode my bike to Mojo and got a croissant at the farmers market, money from the ATM and some pretzels bats from the market before sitting down to write my notes.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment