Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Off at The Counter

I wrote that the day before I finished writing at Starbucks and tried to verify when the Larkspur ferry left but had trouble so instead checked around the town.  I then rode to Corte Madera REI.  I noticed that the ride on a weekday had a different mix of motorists and that there were a lot of children about—especially moms on bikes.  I looked all over REI for something to replace the gloves mom had given me for Christmas.  I had initially thought I would get a sweater or bag but eventually I settled on new bike lights.  I noted that I could never have enough of them.  After this I had to rush but first stopped off at the Counter to get myself a BLT.

I went to the Ferry then and read the paper on the way to the city.  There weren’t a lot of people on the boat but there were a lot of people at the terminal.  The light was failing on the ride to the Richmond.  I noted that if I approach the tunnel from Broadway that the traffic is a lot easier to deal with but that the traffic is still dangerous.  It was dark at Alta Plaza when I passed through and when I got to Lake I kept going till I arrived at 17th and then went to California to find Bazaar.  I took my time while I was there and as I passed the fifteen minutes it took for my meeting with a friend from HS I discovered that there would be music.

I gave her a hug and we talked a bit because the barista was busy with the musicians.  She thought that music would be nice.  I initially told her a lot of the same stuff about relationships and being laid off that I had been sharing with others for the last month.  We got tea and she told me about her life.  The music started and we listened, speaking to one another in whispers.  The first act was a couple from Chicago and then there was a guy that had a set of rehearsed songs but they seemed really experimental.  The third act was a trio from 11 Ave Records.

We talked about Matt Lynch and his sister whom she hadn’t interacted with in a long time.  We went over a friend for the old days and high school.  I asked her about her old coworker which she had introduced to me.  At the break she and I decided to go but we promised to make plans.  She said she would send me her second chap book.  I rode 17th to the park and then went past the Polo Fields in the dark.  Mom was in the living room when I got in and I did a little bit of stuff in my room but eventually went up to watch TV.

On the day that I wrote this I was up at 930 and went upstairs to have breakfast.  I read the paper and dad came by after a bit to say he was looking at the modem.  He shut down the internet so when I was ready to get my day going I had instead to go into my file boxes.  Then I was able to identify a whole lot of stuff to dispose of.  In the process I went upstairs twice.  The first time I went to ask dad about health care payments.  He suggested I go to Kaiser and so then I looked at the numbers and decided I would likely afford to pay around 400 a month.  I went through a lot of files in the boxes then and put stuff away.

After that I went up and made a meal for myself and was eating when mom came home.  Dad said the modem was up and that he was planning on getting U Verse.  I went down and looked online and discovered that my friend had likely put her cat to sleep.  That was sad and I texted her about it.  I at that moment wished I could have reached out to her because I knew she was upset.

I pretty much quit my filing then and began typing.  I went through my emails and was conflicted about going to Butter Lap and or going to Car Free Happy Hour.  While writing I had basically given up on both.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment