Friday, June 5, 2015

The Idyllic San Geronimo

On the twenty-third of May I caught the VTA but missed the next BART train.  I waited and got the bike and bags at DC BART.  There was a bit of a delay on the tracks and that was misery.  Later I was alone at my traveling companion's place for a bit and was able to collect my thoughts.  We packed and eventually left late for the Ferry building from the corner store. On the way we met a guy on his way out to a long bike trip that knew a few people I knew.

After that I left my companion alone at the ferries and I looked for something to eat but gave up and skipped food.  We had beer on the boat and when we got off we discovered that REI was closed.  We decided to go to The Counter.  They suggested we bring our bikes in but we left them outside.  They were loaded to the brim.  We stayed at a terrible motel that night.  We had missed their phone call but were lucky because they still had our room.

In the morning of the day I wrote this we left around 9 for Fairfax.  I noted that my companion was impressed with Miller Street as we rode through Ross.  We had coffee in San Anselmo.  I noted that some guy was complementing all the ladies.  When we passed through Fairfax I got new tires and my companion got fruit.  I looked at maps and we stopped at the hardware store to pick up a lighter and steaks.

When we left Fairfax we went up Olema Drive to an equestrian community on Baywood Drive.  I was concerned because it was behind a gate but we found that it was actually just for the horses.  That was fortunate for us because it saved a lot of time as we attempted to get to the pipeline trail—a terribly bad trail that climbs up to the top of Sir Francis Drake Highway.  On the way we saw eight people.  We had to walk in a few places but the ride was great.

We shot down the other side to Woodacre where we had coke and looked at the quaint bike tools vending machine.  After that we rode through the idyllic San Geronimo Valley and we found that even the highway parts were easy.  After that the cross Marin trail turned out to be great and it went a long way.  We arrived at Samuel P. Taylor Park a little early and discovered that there was no one at the campsite.  However, but two people showed up right after us with a permit so I ran and got one too.  When we set up the tent my companion took a nap.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment