Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Some Witty Guy

On the twenty-seventh I wrote that the day before I got off of work and got the bike and boarded the VTA.  I was early leaving but no one was going to notice.  I took the train from MV to BART and then rode to JS.  I was lucky--some lady was headed my direction and followed slowly.

I went to West Portal via the Muni right of way in front of a cop.  I signed up for a haircut and then checked my twitter and FB accounts.  I found that several people had commented to my posts about Bicycling magazine.

The haircut was fast and I rode to 27th and Taraval and then on to the house.  When I got there dad was walking up and I quickly learned that both my sisters were in.  I went up and said hi to both.  I then went in and saw mom.  I learned that she had spent a long time doing her daily things and was tired..

My little sister left and I made plans with the older one.  She headed off to the store to buy things for mom and I went down and posted.  I had to reformat everything because I was keeping in mind the likelihood that my friend would want to post it someplace.  I had this fantasy that she would ask Streetsblog to post it or something.

When I was done I learned that my sisters were hanging out together and that I would be alone for a while.  I called superior court and learned that I had to report for jury duty.  Bummed, I texted my boss about it.  When my older sister arrived we decided to catch a bus to the Chalet.

We talked about family as we walked down to the stop.  On the bus she excitedly showed me her "late night" pass.  I remember that she reminded me of my older brother.  At the Chalet I discovered that the Beach side was closed so we went upstairs.  We discussed our feelings about our futures and our parents health.  There was a new whisky.

We took the bus to Noriega then and went to the local pub.  The place is pretty cool but I normally stay away from the place and I quickly found out why.  We had ordered a drink and she discovered that there were appetizers in the back of the bar. Eventually we fell into conversation with some witty guy.

On the way out he stopped us at the door and asked us about our back ground.  As soon as he had an idea about who we were he started naming names and then he realized that our brother in law was someone he knew pretty well.  Then he started naming all the people from our high school classes.  I went to bed pretty late that night.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I was up at the latest moment that I could without being late.  When I went out I forgot my summons so went a few blocks back to get it.  I went through Golden Gate Park and then to the Panhandle.  I stopped at Central and got a coffee.

When I arrived at the court I was fifteen minutes late but it was ok because the orientation had just begun.  We got sent to our department then and the clerk ushered us in.  She identified a group of people to sit in the dock and then sent the rest of us in separately.  Later when we went on break I checked my bike and was alone for a bit.  A few hours later we broke for lunch.

I got my bike and went to a cafe on Folsom.  I noted to the counter girl that the name had changed and she said the menu was the same.  She had an English accent.  I sat and read my newspaper and looked at the tweets about bike share in the peninsula.  I got another coffee and then headed to the courthouse.

There the process ground on and I hated it but I had to watch--not read my paper.  Eventually the statistical breakdown of who was going to be a juror became pretty obvious and the judge called a break.  I did pretty much nothing.  I reflected upon the fact that I was not at work and that sucked.  I considered what I would say when the judge asked me whether I would be fair--I hadn't yet made up my mind.  It was at this point that I was brought up.

I was the only person the judge dismissed with out any cross examination from the DA or defense.

I got the bike and texted my lawyerly friends and we commiserated.  I went to the Mission and only Pedal Revolution caught my fancy.  They told me to take a picture of the bikes so we could decide about my fork.  A friend of mine texted to say that we would hang out so I went to her work.

There she told me to hang out because she was waiting for her manager.  I went to Atlas and made the mistake of having more coffee.  I saw her coworker and finished the paper and then looked at the water department trucks and work that was going on outside.

I found my friend later at the Tradesman and we sat with her friends talking about their son's development and cute stuff he did.  We discussed our jobs and the bike ride to Marin.  They left and we talked about the dissonance that jury duty had introduced into my work schedule.  We rode to my friends and got my bag then.  After that we headed to the Panhandle and took Kezar and Hugo to Social where we saw a bit of the Warriors game and had a burger.  The beer I had was excellent--I texted my buddy.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment