Friday, June 19, 2015

Old Tech Coworkers

On the sixth of June I wrote that the day before I had left the office and ran to the VTA.  The CT was delayed because of a fatality at Atherton.  I calculated that the train was 30 minutes late when I got my bike from the Valet.  I was following a fellow passenger for a while up Duboce until I got to my friend’s house.  She had been with her old tech coworkers.

She had made a meal of amaranth and egg that was alright.  Her roommates passed through.  I tried to help her adjust her bike but she said that she would go to the shop the next day.  She told me she wouldn’t go to Bike Party.  I left a moment later and headed to the meet up for the ride.

Some guy on Fell thought I was in his way.  At the conservatory all the people I expected were there.  I talked to the guys and noted some organizers and stalwarts.  The ride left 20 minutes late and we rode over the gated pedestrian tunnels to the back of the Academy and onward to ninth.

I counted about 250 on the ride and noted how I often feel glum in all of this because I don’t know what to say to people.  I ended up at the front of the ride as we approached Irving.  A lot of people were taking photos and gawking.  At 19th the ride broke into three groups and there was a truck blocking the way.

I said hi to an organizer and one of the guys and then stopped at the bank.  We continued up 25th to Kirkham and then on to 34th.  I was with the sweep crew at this point.  I ended up in conversation with a guy who had his lock on his bike funny.  The organizer was trying to manage Ortega and a local bike celebrity that rides a trike was near the front at around Vicente.  I fell into conversation with a good friend on Crestlake as we headed to the Grove.  One of the guys thought there were cops but the tri-cyclist led us in to the grass and things were fine.  I stood with the guys for a while.  My buddy showed up around when I finished my whisky.

When that stop ended I climbed up to the top and headed out to Sloat.  I was trying to get ahead of the group and passed a girl that had come on the Lady’s ride on the way.  I got some beers at the pizzeria.  I was blown away I could do that.  On Great Highway I saw a mountain biker I knew and talked to the guy with the lock again.  I also saw the tall guy that drinks whisky and rode with the guys into the Park.

We went to Chain of Lakes and the group kind of broke up but we managed to get back together.  My buddy and my riding partner both indicated that they were headed to the Baguette and Beret ride.  I suggested they meet me on Haight Street in the afternoon and my buddy was fine with that.  I re-met a girl I knew and said bye to some others and went home to watch some TV.  I was in bed at 12.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I was up at 8 and had coffee.  I was reading the paper when dad came in to ask about the trip to Reno.  I was done around 10 and went down to type.  I told the guys I was late and my friend apparently hadn’t done anything.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment