Saturday, July 11, 2015

A “Bad” Job Ordering

On the first of I July wrote that I said bye to the boss at 3 and had to take the VTA.  When I and the transferred to BART I saw a designer from the college.  I got the bike and went to the college.  At the college I was alone and locked myself out.  People came in.  I helped a person when the professor came in.  I reviewed the materials—Passport and ArcGIS Online.  I told him about my job.

I did a couple of things and then started.  It went really quick and everyone had the stuff.  I went back to reviewing the materials.  Then I asked people about help and checked in with others.  I went and sat with a couple of people.  At first I didn’t know what to do but later everyone started to get it.

Eventually the professor turned on the projector and I thought he would start addressing everyone but I realized he was just helping.  I finished and noted that it can be hard for me to show enthusiasm for stuff.  When I was done the professor took the podium to talk.  I went for water after passing out materials and spoke to a person’s mother in the hall.

The professor asked me to meet him at Liberties.  I got the bike and called my friend.  He got there before me.  I sat down and immediately said my performance was unimportant but he still wanted to know.  He believed that he has no opinion and when given the opportunity he would use his manager voice to say things like “facts speak for themselves.”

I described my perspective and steeped it in my overall career/work situation.  He had some criticisms but they were few.  I noted that he doesn’t like to share.  I started talking about curriculum and moved onto materials.  I talked about my process.  Eventually, we discussed how to improve.  It was important for him to know that I thought our interaction was prestigious for me and I wanted to help.

When we left I found my friend at her home.  Her roommate had just moved out and he told us when we were outside that we should go to Nopa.  We walked to Safeway and rode to Divis.  Some girl was out front on the phone.  I was alone in the back of the restaurant for a moment.

We sat down and I did a “bad” job ordering.  My friend selected our meal.  She apparently didn’t know about my career situation.  The bill was too big but it wasn’t until I was leaving that I realized that I had over paid.

We rode to the Panhandle.  In GGP we were a bit more muted and at we may have seen a dog in the middle of the road there.  She slowed down but I wanted to go.  I was asleep that night at 115.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I didn’t want to get up but did so anyway.  I had to wait 30 seconds for the bus and went to Walgreens after I got off to buy a CT pass and then to Starbucks before boarding transit at DC BART.  On the shuttle a guy told me that he would take my job if I didn’t want it.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment