Friday, February 27, 2015

We Got Pretty Soaked

On February eighth I noted that we had gone sledding pretty soon after lunch.  The insiders had gone our earlier when the snow was still nice.  Our neighbor friend and his girlfriend, the farmer, my companion and I got our winter clothes on went over to the closest lift.  There was a lot of snow but the rain had ruined it.  I was having a hard time keeping up with my companion because she was practically running.

On the slope we followed the runs from the earlier group but only had two sleds so trying to plough the runs didn’t do much good.  We just let loose and had fun.  My companion had brought some bourbon in a flask and we got pretty soaked.  On the way back to the house she and I took the time to sit for a bit in the rain.  Upon our return the insiders told us that their experience had left them drier.

My companion and I went upstairs to be alone and dry off.  Later we sat on the couch with our arts and crafts.  I was trying to find a picture of a bike for her in the book cases.  The machinist and the client were discussing business.  The client told me that he managed a lab on the Embarcadero and knew a friend from college.  I noted that his reaction to my questions about a certain manufacturer was revealing.  It seemed to indicate that they were partnering.

Around then the baby was placed in my arms and as time went on my companion and I went upstairs with him.  I told her then that I was petulant about learning more from the client.  I grabbed some beers then and was even able to get some of the beers that I had purchased out.  I noted that there were a lot of appetizers left from lunch around.  I drank a bit of bourbon.

We eventually sat down for hostess’s birthday dinner.  The machinist had made a cake and the hostess had made us polenta and there were several other dishes out for consumption—quinoa and salad.  She had us back fill the table and this caused a few of us to trade places because I refused to sit on the corner.  We finished eating and we started a word game with stints of jokes making thrown in.  When the hostess was supposed to do the game we brought out the cake and we sang happy birthday.  My companion was really enthusiastic throughout all of this.  She and I played a word together.  She eventually left the table for some air.  We interacted upstairs for a bit.  She went to sleep and I returned to the kitchen until most of the people went to sleep.  We had all eaten a lot of food.  I had a conversation with the insider about movies and turned off the lights when he went outside with the others to enjoy the night air.

When I got up the morning of the day that I wrote this, one of the insiders was in our room packing and the other roommate was already downstairs.  It was around eight and I was alone upstairs so I tidied.  When I went downstairs there was coffee that my companion had helped to make.  She kept asking me to clean and refill the press and that only made things difficult for the machinist.  A few others were helping her make food.  I kept trying to sit at the table but my companion would keep calling me back to make more coffee.  We had potatoes, cauliflower, guacamole, leftover polenta and fruit salad.

When we were finished one person washed a lot of dishes.  Some of us cleaned out a lot of stuff.  I ended up sweeping behind the tables and kept losing my coffee cup.  I tried to figure out the compost but the farmer talked to the host about it.  I had broken down my cot and we moved the table back to where it had been.  We eventually got the kitchen and dining rooms organized and I went upstairs and did more.  I helped move a bunch of stuff downstairs to the mudroom.  I ended up putting my shoes on then and so stayed out of the house for the rest of the time.

The machinists had been doing the laundry but they got in their cars to go a little later.  Jamie and I threw snowballs at them and the insiders as they drove away.  Our neighbor friend I packed the bear boxes and the other family moved their car for us.  It was snowing when we locked the house up and said bye to them but the road was mostly clear at that point.

We were watching a DVD about Kestrals on the entertainment system when we left Soda Springs but eventually we put a on a podcast about entanglement.  The snow turned to rain and then stopped for the most part.  I noted that my companion had trouble with the curves near the gaps and Colfax but they straightened out quickly enough.  I noted as I was writing that we were making good time.

Later I wrote that we got dropped off at her place and once we unpacked we went to Patricia’s Green and Brass Tacks.  On the way back she went to the store and I went to her house and started typing.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment