Saturday, February 7, 2015

Teapot was Tweeting

I wrote that I typed up my notes and concluded that I wouldn’t be going to the galleries but would try.  I had dinner with the parents and then got a text from my buddy saying I should go to the Jazz Center.  I rode to Opera Plaza then and locked up.  The bike area was a mess of old bikes.  I was alone at Peets for a bit and noted that Teapot was tweeting from Smugglers Cove.  I told my buddy to meet me there and walked over.  When she arrived we walked to the Center and did some catch up.

We got a drink and then went to the Joe Henderson studio where her married friends were sitting.  She had tickets from her membership and made it clear that she needed people to go to the shows.  The studio had these great windows that allowed the street to see the show.  Adam Shulman did the Duke’s Money Jungle.  My buddy was waiting for her date to show up but he didn’t make it in time to get through the door before they started.  I tried to remember the set list so that I could look at it later.  My favorite was Wig Wise.

We went to a bar on Hayes near Laguna and had appetizers.  I was the odd man out because I think my buddy anticipated Ben being unavailable.  Her friend appreciated my presence and her husband was hard to interpret.  However, he is affable when the conversation is about something that he finds interesting.  His wife expressed interest in learning more about one of my friends.

We then dropped the husband off at their house and continued to Rickshaw—an all ages club.  I didn’t really want to go but the girls are regulars and so we got in for free.  I had a drink and watched the teenies dance for a while.  My buddy was were getting along with her date.  Her friend predicted that my friend knew about the corset store and then guessed that she was going to the Edwardian Ball—she is a smart lady.

I walked down Van Ness and saw a very simple man ask for money.  The way he said it made it clear how vulnerable he was.  My standard reaction is to redirect interaction to conversational small talk because displaying money on the street or lingering in one place too long are both dangerous.  However, I was really concerned about the ethics of my reaction.  I got the bike and climbed Pierce and took a gamble crossing Ashbury.  I was in bed around 1215.

On the morning of the day that I wrote this I slept through an alarm and three messages.  I was up at 12 and as I was sipping coffee discovered there was no paper.  I called one of the recruiters and turned down an opportunity in OK.  A lady from my normal lunch spot in Walnut Creek wanted to know why I wasn’t coming in anymore and I told her I wasn’t there anymore.  Then I interacted with a recruiter from the day earlier and he said that a job he had at Autodesk was a good lead for me.  We agreed to speak the coming Monday.  I then went to Java to read the paper.  I interacted with a lady from Grass Valley who had lived locally before and was passing through on a road trip.  A twitter friend Roach mentioned to others that he was filtering my tweets but didn’t name me.  This has lead me to be skeptical of our interactions.  I also revealed a lot about myself to one of the baristas and decided that since I was doing so that I probably didn’t care what she thought.

I went home and did laundry.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment