Thursday, October 22, 2015

Tunnels had been Renamed

On October twelfth I noted that I had not gotten up early enough to catch the 620 bus to Santa Rosa so found myself an hour later waiting with my friend in Civic Center for the next bus.  Thankfully, there was room for us when the bus arrived.  We talked to the driver about BRT and I talked about MAUP on the bridge.  We couldn’t remember if the tunnels had been renamed.  A guy got on with a bike at San Rafael and we got a new driver.


In Santa Rosa my friend left me alone in a parking lot until she was able to show me where the Flying Goat was.  We had coffee and I had to catch my breath there.  Then we had to search for Joe Rodota trail. As we rode through Sonoma County on it I noted the trail is strangely separated from the functions in the surrounding areas. Santa Rosa and Sebastopol were both originally rural but only one has become more urban.  However, there is no connectivity between the different zones. There were four places where we had to leave the trail and cross a freeway on ramp to continue. As we transferred to the more rural areas in Sebastopol, we also crossed three bridges.


We were in Sebastopol when my friend took me to a thrift store, which she called “burner.”  We then went to another more giant one. I was frustrated by the bike locking.  Our route to the party involved an approached to 116.  Later we continued on to Lynch and some crazy hills. We had to make some turns near the cemetery and then climb the hill out of the Atascadero Creek.


When we arrived at the party, my friend’s sister met us at the gate.  I had to wait for them but I settled on the porch after I interacted with some friends. I got lemonade and later we went to the pool and sat at the picnic table eating chips.  We drank some whiskey and new people sat with us.  A little later I went down to help the cooks and get some air. They were smoking meat.


When I returned there was a pinata in place of the table next to the pool so I got a cocktail.  When I returned to the pool I noted that the swimmers were not happy with the temperature so I asked the Host the turn on the hot tub.  When it was working I told all of the kids with squirt guns to go away. Later I discovered that this caused an ever greater number of children to show up and it started to not be so nice.  Ironically one of my acquaintances said she had gotten into the tub because she had gotten time off from her daughter.


Later I had another cocktail and interacted with people in the house. They had made ice cream.  When the food was ready I got in line and ate it with a bunch of people on the steps.  The food was good.  A couple of the kids were interested in the ice cream maker.  It was a little bit after we had eaten the ice cream that we decided to go. I took the time to say bye to as many as possible.


The hostess took photos of us as we got our bikes out to hit the road.  We did the crazy hill and cemetery in reverse.  Back in town I noticed that I forgot my stuff and we had a while to ask my friend’s sister but she never replied.  I noted later that the ride was alright with a few exceptions.  There were some really sketchy people on the trail in Santa Rosa and the 101 underpass at the River trail was also terrible. We had missed our bus and decided to go to the brewery.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment