Friday, October 16, 2015

Guy Hit my Bike

On october 4th I wrote that I couldn't find a replacement frame for the Rockhopper and decided I might just want to get the frame welded. I left with enough time to visit the clinic and noted that the lady who had told me she would get my previous records no longer work there. However, she had gotten my records for me.  I noted that the attendant went and got them for me.

I went to the bank then and afterward climbed up to 16th Avenue where some guy hit my bike and started to yell at me.  I suggested we call the police but he left. He had two toddlers in the backseat.

I continued to 9th Avenue where I got a haircut. I discovered my friend was going to meet with her roommates so I decided to spend more at the barber instead of visiting her.  Afterwards, I got a falafel sandwich and as I was leaving I also got into a yelling match with the owner of Fresca because they we're double parking.

I went to Southern Pacific then because I thought there was a happy hour but I discovered I was wrong.  So then I climbed back to the Western Addition and found the Pig and Whistle for Transit Riders Union pub crawl. A pianist I know sent me a message when I stopped halfway to catch my breath that he said he would be late. I also talked to many fellow TRU members and leadership.  I spent a lot of time talking to a software designer I know.  When everyone headed to Clement I was talking to a candidate about his run for mayor.

When I finally went out and got my bike the TRU group was still waiting for the bus. I got to the next bar early and sat with a lady from Sweden. She was interested in the event and I told her about it before heading upstairs.  There I had some of the original directors fries and to talked with my pianist friend and others.  The TRU director had a raffle and right before I left the editor for Streetsblog suggested I go to his meet up at Boozeland.  I went to Milk Bar then but my other pianist friend wasn't there. I texted him and he said he wasn't playing for another week.  I was asleep at 12.

On Friday I got up around 9.  My friend had planned on going to the DMV but she met me and her associate at Blue Bottle instead.  After that we went to Twentieth Century but our companion said she needed gluten free options. So we went to Arlequin and she found a thing she liked.  Later we walked a bit and hung out with her cat.  My friend and I decided then to go to the costume shop.  Then we walked two Cliff’s and found stuff she wanted.  We then walked to cafe nearby and a thrift store where I found a great jacket.  Later I tried to get her to go to the Streetsblog Happy Hour but she had stuff to do.

I arrived at Boozeland a little early so I decided to go to the library. I found a bunch of great books.  One was called SF Thoroughfares. I also looked at the Sanborn maps. Back at Boozeland my riding partner was there. I ordered and then we went to the back when we where we found the guy from the Streetsblog Podcast, the outgoing editor and a few others.  I talked to one guy a whole lot.  One of my acquaintances had been interacting with a supervisor’s staffers.

Eventually three of us rode to Divisadero. My buddy got a burrito and then we went to Panhandle where we met a bunch of acquaintances.  I was wearing my tweed blazer even though it was Pirate Night.  We rode through the Panhandle to Stanyan. I heard later that a girl had run the stop light there and had gotten hit.  She survived apparently.

We took Arguello and descended to Crissy field.  I hung out with a bunch of people I knew and a few new ones too.  The ride went to Fort Mason then and I saw some friends that I had known on Bike Party for years. There was a fashion show which was interrupted by the police. My buddy and I tried to leave with my riding partner but we lost him and his wife but they found us at market.  My buddy and I had beers at Beer Hall then. I was asleep at midnight.

On Saturday I was up at 9:30 and my friedn suggested we go to eat before the birthday party at her old job site. We went to Craftsman and Wolves and the place was a zoo.  We had muffins that had an egg inside of them.  We rode to the party and I helped the father.  His wife needed a cake knife so we went to the other building.  We talked to an engineer there and she showed me the building.  Later we had to get her story books so we went to another office. I hung out at the barbecue grill for a while..

Later I headed off to City College and since my friend had to pick something up she followed me to Harrison. At City College I went up and signed in for a workshop. We were still doing introductions. During the first hour there were a lot of comments and collaboration.  We went through our wallets for the ice breaker.  Later we made posted notes and I made a whole lot.  We also filled out a questionnaire about race and discussed the results. During the break the professor had me give him my key.

When the workshop continued we got into a discussion of race which focused on privilege and nationality.  I'm noted the term racialization but was uncertain what that was.  There was also a presentation where we listed out different varieties of oppression. I identified gerrymandering and geo-demographics. I got to know an organizer during the second break.  We then sat through an exercise called the fishbowl where we discussed gentrification and displacement.  After that we looked at web maps and discussed data development.  Finally we talked about developing a map project.  This was where I pushed Critical GIS theory on everyone.  When we finished I left without any follow up.

I went to Four Barrel where I called my sister and my friend. I arranged to see mom on Sunday then and made plans with my friend.  She said that her high school classmate was coming over and that we would not likely be going to Peaches Christ that night. When I got to her house they were in the living room drinking wine and having fun.  We talked for a few hours and then walked to the ramen soup restaurant, which was really good.  After that we walked to a place that had cake.  Even after the old classmate my friend and I were still engrossed in conversation about books.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I was up at 10.  My friend let me know that she wanted to get me coffee but we decided to go to the Mill instead.  We rode up the Wiggle to Buchanan and doubled back through the tho farmer’s market.  The Mill was packed so we went to Matching Half. I called the Cliff House and confirmed my reservation.

Later we went to a couple of bike shops. Avenue Bikes had a tire and a fork that I thought would work.  We went to see mom then.  After talking to her about photos and other things we went to the Cliff House. They didn't have our reservation but seated us.  The meal was great.  My friend loved the view and I people watched for a while.  There was a group celebrating a birthday party next to us.  After that we went to my house and I wrote in my notebook.

Later I wrote that I did my transcription and sat with mom and my friend.  I had been organizing and dad had texted.  We made sure mom was settled and headed out to Walgreens and then had sliders at Social Brewery.  We discussed my problems with planning.  We rode through Kezar and down Page.  I noted the Laguna crossing is not fun. Later I started reviewing the transcription and went to bed.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment