Sunday, March 27, 2016

Marche de Saint Germain

On the fourteenth of March I wrote that I had had a glass of pastis at El Dante and then I walked back to the room via the dark alleys and settled in for the night and was asleep around 12.


I noted that I remembered sleeping late and was up around 930.  My friend and I went to the kitchen at around 10 and she had wanted to go to Pain Quotidian.  I noted that the streets were quiet on our way over there and the cafe was not crowded.  We made some mistakes ordering and some things were in short supply.  We ended up with a lot of coffee and less food.


We had made notes for the day and got ready to go.  There was a big crowd as we were leaving and my friend decided that there had to be a farmers market nearby based upon the bags of vegetables.  Back at the room we found that the Marche de Saint Germain had a market so we walked there and she got fruit.  Then we got some water and pastries.


We walked around the cavernous Eglaise Saint Sulpice then-  there was no mass going on.  After that we visited the Palaise de Luxembourge.  We ate figs and watched the sailboats- which were marvelous.  I saw some interesting hooded gulls.  Later we walked up Bonaparte to the Tour de Montparnasse.  We passed velib on the way and should have rented them but decided not to.  Some lady needed a spot to park her bike.


We walked to the Edgar Quintet and on to the tower.  The trip to the 56th floor was complicated by security and useless photo booth but after buying a couple of drinks we made it to the roof for some pictures of the sunset.  Back in the warm gallery on the 56th we wanted to see the city lights through the window and found that the perfect time is right after sunset when the lights come on.


We headed to the Gare de Montparnasse then to catch a 6 train to the Rue de Clar.  We really enjoyed the hustle over to the station and boarded pretty quickly.  At Cambronne station we walked up Joffre past the Eiffel Tower and its bright beacon.  We were really hungry at Rue de Clar and had a bit of trouble sitting at Cafe Central deciding where to eat.  Eventually we settled on a place called Tribeca.  The food and the wine were alright.


Later we got little lost until we found Grenelle.  I had an easier time after that since that street took us straight to the hotel.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment