Saturday, April 2, 2016

Quadruple Shot of Jack

On the twenty-first of March I wrorte that we left Holy Cross and walked through the Romer and up to the Zeil until we got to the center where we saw a bunch of German and American skaters.  We walked around Goethestrasse then and finally returned to the hotel.  We rested then for about an hour.

When it was time to leave we walked through the park to my old friend’s and gave her some Parisian breads.  I looked at her bikes in wonder and then she walked us to the same cafe that we had gone to that morning.  So we walked on and talked about the city.  My friend and walked with her then to an almost random place on Bergerstrasse where we talked about old acquaintances and times.

As we were leaving we discovered that my brioche had not arrived so we took it with us.  After a brief stop at the bank we then walked through the Chinese Garden, where we took some photos.  Then we followed the old city wall looking at old buildings until we found one of the city’s old towers across from a hotel with a paternoster which we rode while taking pictures.  We then continued our walk past the Thurn and Taxis estate.

We ended up retracing our steps from the morning from there but this time we crossed the Main via the Altbruck and went to Sachsenhausen.  I took a great picture of the Porticus on the way.  We stopped in Alt Frankfurt where I insisted we get a drink at one of the dive bars there.  The bartender screwed up my drink and I had to have a quadruple shot of Jack with the smallest amount of coke in it.

We walked on then and I noted that the old wall- on Muerstrasse- there had a set of buildings that looked very gate-like.  My old friend had chosen a very cute restaurant there.  We had cider and ordered my friend an apple juice to tide her over until we ate with an acquaintance that had come to dine with us.

We caught our new visitor up on a bunch of stuff when the food came.  I also took the time to learn about her since she and I had last seen each other.  I noted while my friend and her got to know each other that my conversations with my old friend didn’t often go anywhere because she didn’t seem to remember a lot about the times we had spent together.  One example was in how I had accompanied her to Villingen Schwenningen.   I noted too that it was a long time ago.

The conversation mostly came down to the present then.  We had gotten to know each other and talked about the food and shared with one another.  I had an apertif and we killed the cider.  We were all full.

When we left I tried to ride our acquaintance’s bike and she and I talked at length.  I noted that my friend’s talked a lot during this period.  Our hosts said bye to us then and my friend and I went up to the hotel to start packing.  I was asleep late and the night was a confusing array of cloud like pillows and sheets and a strange dream.

I had attended a strange theatrical event that happened to include James Woods.  At some point I had sat next to him in the audience and had leaned into him while drinking my juice and he told me to stop.  Then he told me that he wanted me to go away.  As I did so a bunch of audience members sitting behind me were outraged and their complaints had begun disrupting the theater show.  I awoke to them yelling and throwing popcorn.

My friend and I discussed the dream later.  The bags were already packed at this point so we had very little to do to get going.  I did situps and then we settled the bill, had the house breakfast and walked to Konstablerwach to catch a train to the station.  However, we ended up going to Frankfurt Sud and had to double back.  Eventually we made it to the correct platform and I had a coffee before we boarded.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment