Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Meeting for Dinner

On the twenty-ninth of March I wrote that I had left the day before from work and was grateful for the bike having been fixed.  My friend had said she was staying in Alameda so I had very little to do after I had transferred Mib to 16th and rode to the apartment.  One of the roommates let me out when I was ready and I took the F to 3rd and back tracked to the Hilton.  I found my session organizer easily and I walked with a session chair to Kuleto’s where the group was meeting for dinner.  We found the chair and a presenter- both were from Vancover- for the session after mine.  She told me that she studied ag and he was presenting African environmental risk.

The rest of the group showed up a bit later with the organizer and we sat down to eat.  There was initial interest in what I did for a living but I did my best to let it be known that I absolutely hated it.  On of the chairs at this point asked me what my dream job was then.  That was when I shared my interest in car free jobs, advocacy and lifestyles as a consultant.  I asked the lady across from me- a planner in Santiago- what the session she was chairing was and she said planning pedestrian infrastructure.

When things wound down I paid my bill and walked the african environmentalist to the hotel.  Later I walked to Market and returned to the apartment.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I interacted with my friend a bit before running out of the apartment at around 8.  I took the underground to Powell and went to the Hilton.  I got a cup of coffee and a bit to eat and opened the computer and finished my presentation.  I wanted to quit three times but was able to get through the whole thing in under three hours.

I got another coffee then and checked the conference room.  Then I went up to Sutter and had a meal before returning to the conference room to set up.  There was a lady who had a computer.  She and her colleagues were French.  I asked them to take some photos.  Later I did my presentation.  I had a commanding presence and I could see Lenore in the back agreeing with my statements about the car free lifestyle.

The French lady presented and I decided that her research was great.  There were three others.  One was on grading neighborhoods for bikeability in Taiwan.  I went out for a second between sessions and returned to watch the session after mine.  There were three other people.  The organizer sat next to me for a bit and I got to talk to him too.  I said bye to them before heading back to the station and catching a K to Van Ness and walking to the apartment.  I missed the F.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment