Friday, April 1, 2016

A Contentious Twenty Minutes

On the twentieth of March I wrote that I had quit writing halfway through the trip to Frankfurt because it was so exciting to watch the countryside roll by.  The acquaintance we had in Frankfurt- with whom I had traveled through Asia with- replied to my message.  She was surprised at my imminent arrival and said that she hadn’t expected me that night.  That was when I received a reminder that the stay in Frankfurt was not for another day.


This confirmed that our plans were a mess.  We had two rooms on the same night in different cities but just one ticket to Berlin.  A contentious twenty minutes later we were at the station.  My friend was rebooking our rooms and I had to fetch her from a cafe when I realized that I might need her to rebook the train.  However, we quickly learned that we couldn’t rebook Rail Europe and had to instead book through DeBahn itself.  We decided that it would be easiest to simply eat the loss and rebook.  I sent a message to our acquaintance soon after this saying things had cleared up.


Later were navigated the S Bahn on the way to the hotel.  I had us get off the wrong stop but we ended up on the next train and it was easy.  I went to bed at 1030 but awoke several times.  When I got up I noted as I tidied that the room was in good condition but that the furniture was poor quality.  My friend and I were hungry when we met around 930.


We walked through the park nearby (it was the old city wall) and tried to find a place in Freidburger Platz but the one place we found NordLicht was too busy for us so we went to Strand Cafe and had a good meal of eggs and juice.  I had coffee later.  The waiter was enthusiastic.


Later we walked to a cash machine and I reoriented myself to remember where I had gone the last time I was there.  We took a U to the plaza across from the giant Euro then and walked through the Römerplatz and looked at the Main before settling in at Holy Cross for coffee.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment