Sunday, January 31, 2016

Running on a Bad Leg

On the nineteenth of January I wrote that I finished writing as the train pulled in to Emeryville.  I left my friend alone to adjust her bag and looked at the bus schedules.  It was only a short moment later that we ran for the bus and then she yelled at me for running on a bad leg-- she had wanted to take a cab.

We learned on the ride that protesters had shut down the bridge for MLK and I noted that there was a lot of traffic.  We decided that we would ask my friend’s sister if we could just stay with her after we had dinner with her.  We caught a train to 12th from Mac and then had to take a cab because the bus was slow in coming.  While traveling through the Webster Tube I noted that seat belts are especially dangerous for my friend.

At her sister’s place I hobbled over to the liquor store and bought some whisky and bubbly.  When I returned to the house we broke out the bubbly and and broke the big news to them.  I noted later that my friend shared a bit more than I would have but I also noted that there was still a lot of uncertainty about what had transpired.

We settled into the kitchen.  The baby was set up with yogurt and the cat was happy to see us.  They were making dinner and it looked delicious.  They had to throw in some cauliflower so the took a bit more time.  I fixed up my ankle and joined them.  The sister opened a bottle of wine and we ate and talked.  The baby had great dances and expressions which we mimicked and the sister photographed.

They gave us the Christmas presents they had collected and we made more faces for the camera.  Then we made calls to their mother and discussed travel.  We decided that March was the best date for a trip to Europe but otherwise we weren’t certain about any other location.

The baby had his had his special time then and we noted that the parents had a good routine that he had come to expect.  I had individual conversations with the parents after that until my friend was done reading to him and he was in bed.  After that we had whisky and beer and exhausted the conversation.  My friend headed to bed early and I was asleep at around 12.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment