Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Crab Needed Attention

On the twenty-sixth of December I wrote that I ran to the store for cream and juice on the twenty fifth.  My friend was making breakfast and I was excited to see her living room up for Christmas.  When I got in I made beverages.  The meal was great and Christmas turned out fine too.  I did dishes and we sat with our stockings.  One of her roommates had gotten me whisky.  As if on cue the other roommate’s mom came in and I showed her the map book that my friend had gotten me.

Around 11 we all got ready to do our day.  My friend and I were in a rush because we had anticipated being at my house at 12.  However, we had to check on the cat so were a bit late when we ran up the hill then and grabbed an streetcar.  On board I learned that the bus I wanted was just ahead of us and was un-catchable so I chose another.

Dad had finished the turkey and I left my friend to start cooking and wrapped the present that I had for her.  I left it in the living room and started peeling potatoes and washing dishes.  I left her alone about an hour later and by three I was back upstairs and dinner was done but it wasn’t time to eat just yet.

Dad started carving the turkey then and I sat with the crab.  My younger sister came over a bit later with her pea casserole.  The ladies were finishing off the dining room table and I sat with my brother-in-law on the couch.  Dad had the Warriors on and they were winning.  The kids opened their presents and my friend liked hers.  My nephew tried his best to break dad’s train set.

We declared dinner ready then and we sat down.  My niece had a thing for my friend- she had gotten a parasol.  I tried to eat very little of everything while my dad and brother-in-law fell into loud conversation.  That was when I decided the crab needed attention.

I started doing dishes and the kids declared a magic show.  I told her to get permission and went downstairs to give my brother-in-law the Windex.  Later I sat and watched the magic show.  My nephew seemed to want to go through all of the tricks in his magic box.  Then we returned to the dining room to have desert.  I helped with another round of dishes after that and then we started Scrabble.

The kids were really interested in playing and John was not the best for playing and my friend was taking score.  My niece was even putting words down.  At one point Mom opened up a triple word I bungled it and that caused the night to pretty much end.  A little later my sister and her troop left then and I said bye.   My friend and I spent the rest of the night talking about the birds.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I went up and got some coffee and my friend came up hungry.  I made potato pancakes and mom made more coffee.  We tested the first couple and then set the table for brunch after we fixed the recipe.  Dad joined us when I was finished.  We added turkey to the table just in case.  We talked about the pope and cell phones.

Later I finished the paper and they cleaned up.  We agreed to leave for the park and a bit later we regrouped and ended up at Middle Lake for a walk to the Angler’s Lodge where mom got great pictures the fishermen.  We walked past the toy boat hobbyists hall and saw the bison.  On the way to the car we discussed how to structure family time.  After that  I drove us over to the bike shop and had coffee.  Later my friend and I got our stuff together and hopped a bus to her place.  

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment