Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Famous Web Cartographer

On the twenty-fourth of October I wrote that I got off of work at 430 and was really tired.  I saw a cyclist get a ticket after I took a left off of Holly.  I had to catch the train to San Bruno and once I made it to BART I had missed the Pittsburgh train.  I was angry and frustrated but later conceded that there was no reason for it.  My friend texted to say it was my commute but I thought it was stress.

My riding partner texted me and I met him at Telegraph for #BAUHH.  We talked for a bit and I caught a view of the organizer and almost immediately saw a few people I would later recognize via Twitter.  One of my Acquaintances approached us after we had relocated and my buddy showed up pretty soon after that.  I was surprised when a couple of from the south bay as well as the famous web cartographer appeared.

When my riding partner wanted to go I followed him to BART.  My buddy had disappeared but texted that he would meet us at Latin American Club.  I guessed that he was on the next train because he came in right after we made our way through the packed room to the bar.  We only lasted a little bit before we decided to quit.

I caught a 48 to the top of the hill and then rode the usual route and noted as I recalled the ride that I hadn’t analyzed the experience until I sat down to write it out.  Essentially, I was only able to recall the trip in aggregate.  I rode Garcia and Kenilworth to Taraval before taking 27th to Santiago. I remembered too that I had missed 33rd and took 34th instead.

In retrospect the ride was especially dangerous not because I was impaired but because I was wasn’t particularly present when I made the memories.  I noted that what I had termed “lazy memory” wasn't a good way to ride a bike.  When I got home I tried to review my tweets but decided to go to bed.  It was around midnight.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I got up around 10 despite my hangover.  After a moment in my room I discovered that I was alone when I went up to talk to the parents.  I grabbed my coffee cup and bike and headed to Swell where I bought myself a new peg for my pants to replace the one I had lost the night before.

I was bummed that I had taken too long but found myself at Central Coffee only a short time later.  I caught some sights there and then headed to Brannan and up to South Park.  I was there to meet the Twitter crowd for the Bikes to Books ride.  I saw a lot of people but only one-- I had met him at #BAUHH-- was recognizable.  Later I deliberately told myself to remember the organizer and ride sweep.

We took a while to get to know Jack London and then headed over to Anne to talk about Ambrose Bierce.  From there we went to the Pyramid and looked at Mark Twain, climbed above the Stockton Tunnel to discuss Daschle Hammett, passed Isadora Duncan Alley and had a talk on Polk Street on the block of Tracy named for Norris.   After that we had a short break at the Wharf to look at Dana Jr. street.  I got a cup of coffee there.

Later we went to Bob Kaufman street and I thought it was interesting that I had practically lived there with an old friend for about six months.  After that we visited two streets nearby and finally stopped at Visuvio to discuss the intricacies of our experiences.  I noted that some people I knew well were working behind the counter.  I also got to know all the ride’s participants better and bought a map.

I caught a one after that and rode it with my bike to Arguello.  During the ride my friend texted me to say that she had sold a bunch of garage sale stuff that day.  I rode home after that and noted that my buddy was really interested in my Concord even though I wasn’t certain it was very good.

At home I ate dinner with mom and dad and the discussion was as dysfunctional as normal.  Later I sat and talked with mom.  I went downstairs and sat alone for a while before starting to write.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment