Monday, March 2, 2020

The Winterfest Annual Schmooze

On November 16 I wrote that I went down to the bike and packed up to go with my friend to the Winterfest annual schmooze. We met at the coffee shop and rode with dozens of other Winterfest regulars to the Panhandle. There we waited at a nearby playground for the official bike ride but it seems it did not materialize.

When we got to the venue we parked in the valet and stood for photos.  Directors were impressed and some local politicians said hi. I gave hugs, we signed up for beers and drew on the mural. I saw the executive director and spoke to some people from the region as I checked my jacket.

There was a small bike circuit but the floor was slippery. There were a bunch of people from the local transit agency handing out materials and I visited the artist section where I saw an acquaintance doing prints.  There were so many people I had met over the years.

My friend signalled that I should follow her to a special, quiet room in the back where we saw a bunch of people she knew. I provided help getting wine and spent a lot of time walking back-and-forth getting drinks.  In the process I saw people on local transportation boards, local bike advocates, a friend from Geobeers and the guys who built my transit app.  I was surprised when I saw a coworker too!

I hung out in that quiet back room for a while and people even came looking for us there.  However, we abruptly needed to go. Some of the people we were with were getting ready to go so I said goodbye to people at the valet and we headed to the Panhandle.

The ride was straightforward and I had to let the troup catch up to my borrowed cargo bike twice. 

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment