Friday, March 20, 2020

The Earliest Christmas Noises

On December 25 I wrote that I had gone to sleep in the attic at my friend’s sister’s place in Alameda while the ladies set up the stockings.

Then in the morning my friend bolted out of bed at the earliest Christmas noises at seven. Our hosts had had slept in the sleeping bags in the living room next to the tree and presents. Around 8:30 that I had coffee and guests began to arrive.

We opened all the presents and enjoyed them until noon. There were sticky buns at 10. It was back-and-forth for me. A second pot of coffee was made and I had to venture upstairs because of various noises.  Later we worked on a giant jigsaw puzzle.

By 1130 I had tidied the attic while my friend quietly napped. Later a few of us I went to a neighbor’s house to check the aquarium. We discovered that the park was closed.  When we returned to the house everyone was ready for a walk to the beach . The walk was productive. My friend and I had an amicable conversation about our afternoon plans.

At the house we packed up and her mom lent us her car.  I drove us over Twin Peaks to Rivera and to the moms house. We found a space out front. I was downstairs as dinner was served.  It was good, simple and brief. We quietly open the gifts. I tweeted about an architectural book we had received. There was a disco party downstairs.

While we were doing dishes my younger sister’s family convinced my brother and I to play scrabble.  I dithered over agreeing but my friend said we could.  She started winding down and I was surprized that she actually played. My brother begrudgingly participated.  There was cheating.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment