Wednesday, February 19, 2020

In Our Tweed Attire

On November 10 the day before had been friend’s birthday. She had gone for a beer and later we had a French 75 and Negronis. 

The next day we were up at 7 and went to a local cafe. Some lady was so pleased to sit across from us in our tweed attire.

Later we got back on our bikes and made it to the park for the Tweed Ride with 10 minutes to spare. We bumped into a fellow reveler on our way. Riding the cargo bike was a lot of work so I forged onward. The crowd was voluminous and I was so happy to see as many people as I did.

As people started to arrive the organizers started making announcements. I had to wait for a lady with a folding bike to move as we started rolling away. We headed up Steiner. I took a side route at Waller and met the ride there.  I saw so many people I had met at the ride in years past on the way to the Panhandle.

I noticed that riding a cargo bike forced me to ride slow except for bouts of fast writing. For instance short stoplights made a big deal for speed. At Masonic I went slow but ended up going much faster when we crossed. I also had to be innovative when we were crossing Stanyan.

We headed up to Stowe lake. One of the people riding with us told me about her bike event.  Acquaintances from different places told me about their husbands and home life. We rode past Japanese Tea Garden. My friend and I followed the ride up to the playground.

I parked down below and I got to know the people I had known for years. I ended up sitting with quite a few people and even got to know people’s extended family. My friend had taken on some responsibilities at this point and I was a bit focused on helping.  Later the organizers made announcements and I hung out with some of the more eccentric revelers while the ride sponsor followed the organizers and the crowd around. 

When it was time to go I had had a chance to get on the carousel and then I said bye to everyone because I had to go home. 

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment