Monday, March 16, 2020

It Was Around 20°

On November 30 I wrote at 5:45 I made coffee and got dressed. I made sure that I was warm. My friend was up, we had food and by seven we were quietly getting dressed. My sister got up at seven and saw us off.

I wasn’t able to pack fast enough and I ended up getting us out at 7:30. My friend was OK at first but as we made our way down Idlewild dodging ice patches and waiting for cars to pass us she started to pave from the temperature - it was around 20°.

I was mortified when we got to the coffee shop - five minutes from the station. Thankfully the train was a little bit late. We had about 40 minutes until it departed. We ended up fine but my friend had suffered from the sprint.

I made a mess repacking because of how we entered the station but by the time we were repack everything was fine. The bikes loaded OK and we quietly set up camp in some seats in the middle coach car.

After that my friend took a nap. I quietly sat in the lounge for a bit and later we had quiet time but I went to get some lunch in the dining car in the middle of it. When I was done we met in the lounge car and she ate.

After that we migrated between seats and the lounge looking at plow trains and a lot of snow. We looked at the yellow bridge and Davis’ bike paths.  We only occasionally spoke to new people. At Benicia we had to wait for the bridge to let a tanker pass and we spoke to the lounge vendor.

At Emeryville we put the bikes in lockers, took the bus in the city and caught an F train to the apartment and I went to get dinner. 

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment