Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I Buy the Brompton

On the ninth of February I wrote that I left the office at 330 and took the Brompton to RWC to catch the trains to DC.  I missed the connection but at 16th I was able to take the alleys and make the apartment by five.

My friend had made a pillow and we talked about our life goals as she was transferring the stuffing from an old pillow to the new one.  I noted that I had been coming around to the idea that I had enough.  Her roommate came in but he was in his world.  We grabbed the foldies then, sorted out the lights and headed to see her old coworker, the DBA.  My friend had had trouble with the seat on the Friday and so we switched.  She said she enjoyed modeling the seat on the Brompton for me.

We took the Wiggle to Broderick and the coworker let us in.  Almost immediately she suggested I buy the Brompton.  We went upstairs and ate cheese while she and her husband the programmer congratulated us.  My friend told them about the birds.  He had already known but didn’t show it.  We toasted an older bottle of sparkling wine that was very good.

The DBA was making spanish tortilla and she was impressed that I had spent so much time overseas.  I asked the programmer about Mexican data and we discussed Paris and Berlin.  Eventually we sat down to eat.  They had these neat spices and he gave us a couple of hot sauces.  There was further discussion of travel and they shared their trip to Disneyland.

I noted that they tell a good story.  I engaged him further on technology, data and images.  He said he knew a local archivist and then I shared our encounter at the book bike ride with my acquaintance.  I also told them about having a company-- at least on paper-- that supported my ongoing cycling efforts.

They had been discussing tax preparation and how they had ridden bikes to their accountant’s. My friend described her old boss’ obsession with bikes and the DBA talked about her brother’s.  I told some stories about traveling.

The conversation went on longer but essentially we determined that I would ride the Brompton home and send a check for it later.  I was ecstatic.  We went down and the DBA sorted out the lights and then we gave hugs and I gave the programmer a firm handshake and we left with the bike.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment