Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Door of the Exit

On the twentieth of February I wrote that my coworker had driven me to the station the day before.  I tried to keep things light by relating the wishing well scene from Goonies.  I suggested we have a drink together sometime and he chuckled.

I boarded after a short wait and transferred at Mib.  At 16th I walked to Uptown.  There I interacted with the hipster I met in college and discovered he had had a baby.  I sat with a general contractor then and I talked to an off duty bartender until her husband came in.  She was really excited about the birds and my big changes.  My friend, who had had trouble getting in from the East Bay, arrived a little later.  She and the husband talked at length about art school and she was really impressed that we wanted her to enroll at UC.  They traded a lot of notes and he said she had a good chance of getting in.

We went to Venga then and had a delicious meal while I related the interactions I had had at work.  I noted that I was skeptical about stuff.  We walked to the apartment where we got ready for a trip to the theater with my parents.  We caught a cab then and went Powell.

Dad was at the door of the Exit theater when we got there and I got a beer before we sat down with Mom and my sister to watch a small theater rendition of la Bohème.   My mom’s friend played Musette.  I saw some similarities in the story to my experiences regarding young people living in tenements.  Dad got me a beer.  After the show we walked to Powell and took pictures on the train.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this we got up early.  I headed to Mint Plaza where I had breakfast with my friend.  She saw an old coworker and when we were done we went to Nordstrom Rack.  We caught a nine and then an 8 to North Beach where we went to a bank.  The banker was so impressed she gave us hugs.

We were dressed for the Vintage Streetcar ride that morning so decided we had enough time to visit de la Presse instead the apartment.  Everywhere there were signs that the Chinese New Year Parade was going to happen later as we took a 45 to Sutter.   I told my friend about how famous that location was while we walked down Bush, especially regarding the Maltese Falcon.

While we ate we talked about diffusion and genealogy regarding art and bikes.  Afterwards, I bought a pair of shoes that she loved.  There was a singer in the window.  We ran for the L on our way to Castro Station.  I flipped the handicapped seat up when we sat down.  We took the escalator and saw a fundraising desk for trans youth at the exit.

When we got to the plaza near the streetcar turnaround we saw a clothier we knew and a clutch of dancers.  We decided to head over to Hearth then and had some refreshments.  Later we returned and stood with them for a while.  I met a lot of ladies and my riding partner and his wife appeared a bit later.

There was a band and we stood in the corner with the organizer.   I fed my riding partner facts about work and friends.  There was a lot of dancing.  I told people about Long Beach and South Pasadena.  The girls made sure that the clothier would get help from them for his ride in the East Bay using a EBBP route.  There were only a few F Trains but we managed to get a few photos.

Eventually we boarded an F and headed to the Orbit room.  The train was packed and the guitarist was playing while we headed out.  I got everyone drinks and we got a pizza.  We ate and drank.  We talked to a few people and I tried to help with route planning.  We said bye to everyone then and walked home.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment