Sunday, February 14, 2016

Finished Off the Bourbon

On the seventh of February I wrote that I left work around 320 and walked to the trains and took the 28 but missed the 48.  I was home at 5 and waited downstairs until dinner.  While eating I learned that they had plans to go with my nephew to the museum.  I went downstairs and posted and later I updated my february notes and then sat for an hour of TV after mom had gone to bed.

In the morning I knew I was headed to Soda Springs so forced myself to stay in the room until I was mostly packed.  I had to make certain that I had my tax paperwork and information from the phone account before I tidied up and headed upstairs to say bye to the parents.

I walked to the coffee shop and an acquaintance said that she had returned to the city to get her things together before heading to New York.  The owner greeted me like she knew me.  They both congratulated me and I didn’t pay a cent for my drinks.  I then talked to the local mechanic and he was happy to give me advice about bikes for birds.

I caught the N with two newspapers and walked from Safeway to the apartment.  My friend had just begun getting packed.  I emptied and repacked my bag then and we had a nap before she took a pre trip nap.  In the meantime I had spoken to our ride and when she arose and we were ready we walked to the store to shop and wait for him to pick us up.

The walk was difficult but I managed to get all of our things.  She had had to drop mail so I had to do the last block with both the bags and the mattress.  We put everything in our carts and went shopping.  When we were done I left the bags with her and went to a restaurant for a cup of coffee and then returned to find her shopping with our ride.

They had packed the car up and so we got in and went to Alameda and got his wife from her job.  Then they used Waze to get us to the eighty.  There was a lot of traffic so we got off the freeway a few times.  After that the ride went fine until we got to Fairfield and stopped at a random burger place off Texas street.  There was traffic in Davis and Sac but the rest of the trip went quick.  I pointed things out to the car as we passed through Auburn.  My friend was totally nauseated by the drive.

Once we were at the cabin though we made our way through the steps of unpacking and I set up the mattress.  I sat drinking whisky and eating soup.  Some of our party showed up late.  My friend was in bed a few moments later and I fell asleep soon after.

I noted that the mattress deflated in the night and ran the pump once.  My friend had gotten up around 7 and was with her nephew making cinnamon rolls when I got up.  I went away and later found that a party member had made strata.  I sat at the table with two couples and their children to eat.  Later some others in the party asked me to go skiing but I told them my ankle was recovering.  One of them borrowed my sunglasses.

I had a second helping of the delicious foods and then went off alone again.  I did dishes for a bit and later my friend’s sister, our hostess, took everyone that was left in the house cross country skiing.  My friend and I sat around for a while and later one of the families returned with their friend.  I was tempted to eat more of the food but settled for fruit and other things.  We found some good spirits and I tried everything.

I had asked my friend to go on a walk but it wasn’t until much later that I got my stuff together to go.  My friend’s sister had returned with her group when we walked out the door.  While walking around my friend threw a snowball at me.  We sat in the snow and made some talk.  I noted that I had a dentist appointment on in a few days.  We passed the water utility and a lakeside lodge.  We talked and school before walking back to the house.

I wanted to start writing then but my friend’s sister said we were going to eat.  We hung out in the living room instead.  The last person in our party had shown up.  I moved my mattress and other things to the mudroom.  At dinner we had a simple salad with soup topped with mashed potatoes.  My friend’s sister had us share our fun thing from the trip and I told everyone that my friend had thrown a snowball at me.

She took a nap and I tried the dessert before going outside for some air with some of the people.  She had returned by this time and had the dessert as well.  After that we sat on the couch with everyone and I finished off the bourbon before going to bed a little later.

The mudroom was less loud but it was also a thoroughfare so we had to cope with one of the families passing through.  I got up at around 7 and one of the families was already getting things together to depart the house.  I made two pots of coffee but our hostess had used the rest of the cream in her biscuits.

I did some coloring for a while.  I played with one of the kid’s animal hats.  At that point our host had started doing the laundry.  I went down and deflated the mattress and I started to get ready to go.  My friend was entertaining her nephew at this point so when I was ready to go I told her that I was going outside.

I shoveled snow and chipped away at the ice in front of the house with a little help until everyone was ready to go.  Two cars had pulled out while our ride and I were catching our breath and that was when we pulled out in the zip car and loaded up.  We followed some of the party to the highway and passed some others near Yuba Gap.

I started writing at that point.  We over shot Ikeda’s so back tracked and we sandwiches.  We bought some fruits then and passed by the supermarket where we got coffee then and stood in the open air talking about an optometrist on Polk thwarting bike lanes.

I finished up my writing while we descended to Sacramento and then took the causeway in traffic.  Davis, Vacaville and Vallejo were all problematic due to the way that our driver was driving.  I noted that she tended to drive very fast but follow very closely.  I had an especially hard time in Richmond where the 580 meets the 80.  At the Central Freeway she took the Mission Exit and dropped us off at the liquor store where we said bye.
This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment