Thursday, January 2, 2020

Reno on The Train

On August 31 I wrote that when I got to Reno on the train I got the bike packed and quietly made my way to Riverside Drive and onward to Idlewild before arriving at my sister’s house.

Things were easy when I arrived. They put me in the extra room. I thought that we would have dinner but it turned out my niece was going to the university and my nephew was going to the high school. So, as the kids were out, I pushed my sister and brother-in-law to go to a restaurant for dinner.

They were not thrilled about going out on a bike but after we got the neighbor’s pump to get tires filled it was easy. We rode the same route back to the tap room on Arlington and I had a chicken sandwich. I was able to noiselessly eat the fries.

Eventually it was time to go and we rode back down to the river. They had no lights so used their phones. At the house I hung out with my brother-in-law until late. It had been a hard day.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I awoke to noise and heard my sister talking. I got up and helped then. They had just made coffee and started pancakes. FIve of us quietly ate them together.  Later my niece took her bike out and we returned to the town center for a bike ride.

The ride was easy but I was still pushy. At the coffee shop we talked about our lives and then rode to a park where we tested the water in the Truckee River. Half of the park was closed for an event.

Upon our return to my sister’s house we packed up the car and drove to a friend’s house for a birthday party.  I met them when my sister got married.  And there were a few people I hadn’t seen in years.  

Initially I had a drink and ate crackers but later they informed me that I had to play corn hole. I said that I didn’t want to but in the end I was paired with someone’s brother-in-law - a planner from Portland.  I played two games and awhile later we lost. I had a hard time sounding friendly but it was OK. Everyone was really nice.

There were burgers as the brackets progressed.  Someone won the game but I didn’t really notice since the game continued after I headed back to my sister’s house.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment