Sunday, January 19, 2020

The Gatsby Picnic

On September 8 I wrote that the night before I got home at midnight and went to bed at nearly one. I had gone to some random bar in San Leandro.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this my friend let me sleep in. When I got up I made coffee and had cereal. Our acquaintances was planning on coming over to help us get to Gatsby Picnic at 10:45. I said I’d leave for San Leandro at 10:20. However, I took my friend’s bike down and helped for a bit.

At Guerrero the F took its time. I got coffee at Starbucks at Civic Center. The flowers spilled. I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal once I got to the Gatsby picnic.

Downstairs at Civic Center BART was single tracking and there was no Dublin train. I let my friend know. At 19th St. station there were crowds and I saw a lot of complaining on Twitter about “planned maintenance.”

At San Leandro station I got my bike out and got some fresh air. My companions arrived at noon. We rode the route that we always take: Hayes, Haas, Victoria Circle, Myers, 108th…

Once we had gotten into the event, we found some our Sacramento companions in the same place as the year previous. After we had unpacked I found still other coworkers and acquaintances.

The ladies went for a walk and I had a tasty beverage, visited other picnic spots and I played some Scrabble on a small table with well dressed people.  Later my friend and I hung out with her coworkers at the vintage clothing store.  The spring in the creek bed was an attraction to everyone but we kept quiet about it.

A short while later we started getting ready to go. I distributed flowers. I gave one to my swing instructor. There was a lot of clutter.

We packed up then and the car traffic was unbearable. However, we mostly followed the same route back to San Leandro BART and the transfers were surprisingly easy.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment