Thursday, April 27, 2017

Second to Last Prosecco

On 20 March I wrote that when I got back to the condo around 8 o'clock I had texted the others and then went over and got their eggs and peppers. I was there until around 10 o'clock.

The next day was the morning of the brunch that we had planned. I had done a great job of promoting it. The party had little trouble getting in. We had made baked eggs, bacon and hashbrowns and set it all up on the kitchen counter.

At first it was like six people but later there were five more.  The proprietor was there too.  He and his wife were really impressed. The ladies had put a lot of work into the morning. It seemed like every time I tried to get something done I would turn around later and find it was done for me.

After the party was over mom was asleep for quiet time and my friend and I had a sparkly wine at the pool. She indicated an interest in visiting the resorts so I made the suggestion to Kate.

We went upstairs and found the room was still quiet. The ladies said they would go for a quiet walk up the lagoon and then six of us walked to a beach side bar nearby.  The place had a menu for the happy hour and we selected the nachos.

Later when we walked back we learned the party was planning a photo session on the beach. However, my friend and I declined but not before I indicated to them that we would stop by thier room later that night.

By this time the ladies had gone a long way to getting the condo wound down and I helped get them the rest of the way.  Mom was making dinner and when I finished my meal I did the dishes.

We went over to the other tower about 8 o'clock and opened the second to last Prosecco.  We sat with the bride and one of the guests noted how my old college classmate had a way about him and the groom agreed.  It took a long while to say bye to everyone and then we walked back to the condo.

The next morning we went to the North Shore. We were up at the normal time and I made coffee and we packed the van.  Then we rode the H2 up past Shofield barracks to Haleawa where we had drinks at the coffee gallery. After that we went to the shops. We bought some books on tape and I asked about tacos.

We were going to go to the botanical garden but the noise was so loud we decided to go back. My friend was singing the whole time. I was frustrated. When we were near the condo things improved. We went to the condo and had a late quiet time.

I went downstairs to write then. My friend called me to help her with her acquaintance from the other side of the island. So I went up and helped her get ready. Then I returned to the bar and wrote some more. I took a dip – the pool was really loud.

When we said goodbye to my friend’s acquaintance and went upstairs. I received word from a couple in the wedding party, a firefighter and his wife, a biologist, that they would like to see us. I took some time to check in with them about it and later we sat by the pool for a bit talking about dinner. I finished my beer and got some things from their condo.  Before heading over.

They were great guests.  My friend had prepared some great juice cocktail which mixed with the last of the Prosecco. We talked a lot about getting to know each other: their meeting. My friend’s time in the Navy. I tried to get the mom is involved. When the meal was done we stood on the balcony. I had wanted to go on a walk but that wasn’t possible so we said goodbye. I fell asleep pretty quickly.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this we discussed the day and decided to go to a nearby coffee shop. The walk was easy and the coffee delicious.  Later mom and I headed back to the condo. I stopped by the pool to say by to our friends.  They told me that the dinner the night before was great.

I got the van and when we got to Honolulu we sent pictures of the town and parked at the Statehouse. I took a picture of the queen. We were going to go inside the royal palace but the ticket was for later so we killed 45 minutes walking around the city center. I took a few pictures. Mom looked at a shop. We had some bagels and people watched. We took photos of the palace then as we were walking up and then we put on dust slippers and went on the tour.

Mom got a lot out of the experience. I noted that the upper floor of the palace had strange rooms in the corners and there were a lot of servants rooms.  We were upstairs and later to the basement. There were a lot of historic images. For instance the building had had termites and the state engaged in the the largest tenting ever at the time. I really got a feel for how the royal family and the local population had been cut out of American History. On the way out we looked at the banyan trees.

We went and got the car and went back to the H1. I got lost on the way to target but I had simply gotten off the wrong exit. We got gas and then bought some of the stuff we needed.  Mom went to the liquor store when we were on our way back. She had to get macadamia nuts.

Back at the the condo I changed and went down to the pool.  My friend came down later and we used to the hot tub and did laps. Mom was there and we hung out with her. We returned to our room and we were busy for the rest of the afternoon.

We cleaned and tidied. My friend went running and when she returned we decided what to do about winding the house down. The pizza arrived around then and I was between the room in the living room a lot. Later I ate some of the pizza.  We went through our stuff to pack for the trip back to California and I started writing.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment