Sunday, April 23, 2017

Diving for Fish

On 19 March I wrote that I was at the pool and my friend and I returned to our condo. I didn’t notice when she snuck into the bedroom to nap during quiet time. I got a text from the groom a short while later and he said he was going to the beach when he got back from a hike. I woke her briefly and asked about it.

Later I texted him from the pool. My friend had had trouble getting to sleep and I learned mom woke her up only a short while later.

I ended up in the groom’s room and they gave me some flippers. I was only slightly troubled by the idea of swimming in the Pacific. We jumped in their van with the bride and their roommate and drove to the beach.

There were fire engines because the snorkeler had nearly drowned. We dropped our towels and put on our trunks. One of us saw a turtle. I was convinced they were headed out too fast so I tried to go faster. I had no snorkel but I did have goggles.

I saw fish. I thought it was glorious! I kept having breathing issues and fog blurred up my goggles. Also, the distance between me and the others bothered me. However, when the groom said he had spotted the pipes from the power station it was a relief because I knew we were at our destination.

I was trying to stay afloat at that point. The groom told us he had dove a few times and got shot out to sea by the pipes. The roommate was mostly head down with his camera. The bride was diving for fish.

I lost sight of the guys and was a little worried. However it was a moment later that they showed up and it was time to go. I thought my ears were full of water but it turned out they were fine when we got back

We packed up and left after 20 minutes of talking and drinking beer. They dropped me off at the condo before going shopping.  They had to the go to the store because they were going to make tacos for their families. It was nice that they had done so because I was late to meet my friend.

We were supposed to meet her old running partners friends at the restaurant.   I returned to the condo to find that I was just in time.  I put on my linen jacket and walked with my friend and the moms to the back gate.  There we saw the wedding party getting ready to leisure at the large pool.

We walked through the local resorts and then to the restaurant. We stood there and waited for my friend's buddies from the old days.  When we had a quorum we left our carts out front and I followed the crowd to the table. Noisy chairs were fine until more of our party arrived. The discussion concerned the their running group. I learned that my friend had an alter ego which everyone made jokes about. I didn't understand. I also learned that a few people had returned to HI for work reasons.

The mom’s left with a bunch of noise and we were left with our empty glass. I said we could share. Later when my extra showed up I found she too thought we could share. We shared our fries while everyone discussed running with the group.

The discussion was really involved and I suppose it got old. My friend probably got sad or nostalgic. Eventually my friend’s old roommate and his family had to go home. That was when the group said goodbye and we all started to leave.

The two of us went to the store but saw nothing for the brunch we were planning in the morning so we decided to return to the condo.  However, we walked through the nearby resorts and decided to have a drink. I had thought that the place was off-limits but it turned out to be fine. The place we chose turned out to be cut back and forth by waterslides.

I had a long island iced tea and she had something interesting. We made conversation and forgot our responsibilities. We had fun on the walk back and at the condo we found that the ladies had had an alright on the walk back from the restaurant.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment