Monday, October 10, 2016

Transit Riders Union Crawl

On 17 September I wrote that I had shut down my computer – ready to leave – but the boss. So I had missed my train even before I rode my bike alone to the nearby high school and caught my breath. I then went to a gas station and filled my tires. The bike shop had called me but I felt late so hung up on them twice. The train came a moment after I arrived at the station.


On the ride my friend told me to have fun at night and I considered how I could attend the Divisadero San Francisco Transit Riders Union Crawl. I didn't turn on Valencia but continued at Clinton and onto Page.  There the group was waiting. The transportation cognoscenti were there but only a few others were familiar.  I recognized a western neighborhoods activist but not many otherwise.


I had a couple of drinks and got on the 24 with the group. There was plenty of room for my bike. At Castro I went to Marcella’s.  Later I went across the street to Twin Peaks Tavern. Ordering was really easy because a local politician I knew was standing at the bar. I got to know him better then and talked to the activist. I got to know a random person then and learned he knew some local people I knew and we got to know a third person in the process.


We caught the bus again and took the bus to The Peaks near 24th and Castro. I didn't stay long but got to know a few of the others. I sent some tweets to people and they gave me two beer glasses. The bus driver on the way back wasn't very friendly but I made the apartment just fine.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment