Thursday, October 6, 2016

Ready for Gatsby Picnic

On 11 September I wrote that I got up around 6 o'clock but I didn't get out of bed until 830. Initially I tried to figure out what to do about my outfit but instead I just threw on what I had and started bringing things over to a neighbor’s house - bags and chairs - to get ready for Gatsby picnic. After that I went to Whole Foods for coffee and treats before returning to the apartment. My friend and I spent a couple of hours prepping. Then she and I went to the neighbors and I put her in the car.

I then got into a long conversation at the apartment with a local historian about where we would meet for the picnic until I was ready - dressed in my outfit. I took a few photos and then went down Market Street and bought some beverages.  At Civic Center and I checked in with everybody. My family had already arrived, my friend and her sister were on their way and other acquaintances had found the group.  I was scheduled to meet the historian at San Leandro BART.

When I got to San Leandro I went outside and saw the bartender from Moderne Bar.   I shook his hand and learned he was on his way to the picnic.  We looked very sophisticated in our outfits and waiting there with him made me feel like a gentleman.  Eventually his car came and I went to Safeway to get some coffee.  Little bit later the historian and I rode our bikes from BART through Victoria Square.  His was rather old looking.

At the venue I had no trouble getting my ticket but I did have trouble with my non-contemporary bike.  The historian left me then to ride around the venue but I hung out with my people. Mutual acquaintances and I got to know each other and I introduced my riding partner to everyone. My friend was there with a bunch of people.  They went for a walk and I sat with my niece.

Later I stood around with the guys drinking sparkling wine and whisky cocktails posing for pictures. We saw a lot of new people too.  I hung out with the historian for quite a while and ate a meal or two. Some of our companions were a delight to interact with. Many many people came by looking for my friend.

I was really surprised when her cousins cousins showed up randomly with their friends from high school – they were also twins. We took a whole bunch of photos with them. We also took a lot of photos with a few other people too.

My friend told me that she had to go at this point so I stood around until she was ready and then I walked her and her sister to the car. When I returned everyone except the historian and a group from Sacramento. I learned from those who had left via text messages that my whiskey was with mom.

I hung out with those people  for the rest of the event. We had a few cocktails and we looked at the model T. When they had packed I rode with the historian to San Leandro Bart. I left him at Fruitvale. I rode to get some stuff from the neighbor as I rode back from Civic Center.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment