Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Ex-Girlfriend

On October twenty-seventh I wrote that the day before I had left the café and headed to the Cheesecake factory via Market.  I yelled at an SUV for making a U turn.  I parked at Union Square and went to Macy’s and met the girls.  We had Cheesecake and talked about their plans.  I noted that I had told one of them, my ex-girlfriend about my mom’s health and we talked about her family.  She had had some salad.  Her best friend and I looked at the view when we had finished and saw the Royals motorcade as they were headed to the stadium.  When she said bye and went to the store my ex and I were able to play catch up.  I noted that it was so nice to see her and she took responded well to the discussion.  I noted that she asked many pointed questions about my career and life choices.

When the three of us were together again I got my jacket and we boarded a cable car.  She and I talked about our last time doing that, while her friend took photos.  I pointed out the local Spanish restaurant.  We got off at Lombard and she teased me a lot.  The three of us descended to the bottom and proceeded to the Art Institute where we looked at the Diego Rivera Fresco and I took panoramas with the girls.  We climbed to the top of the theater and then descended to Columbus.  We took pictures from Aquatic Park and then went to the Buena Vista Café where some lady said she didn’t want us sitting with her.  We privately complained about her attitude When we found another place to sit we got a free Irish coffee from our neighbors and I noted the waitress was talkative.  When we left Gregor Blanco was making an attempt at getting the team some points in the World Series with men on base put that didn’t pan out.

We went to the t-shirt shop and poked our head in at a bar to see the score and at a Starbucks to check the ferry schedules.  I noted that by the time we had made our way to Fior d’Italia the Giants were tied.  We had a great meal and talked about Facebook.  I don’t remember the specifics but I had a great view of the TV when the Giants won.  I paid and we managed to get a cab even though there were 50000 people leaving the stadium only a mile away.  They dropped me off at Union Square and I rode home via Geary and then Pierce.

The day before I wrote this I got up and talked to the parents about meeting my ex on her last day in SF and then went to Java Beach to read the paper.  I tweeted and noted that phone was dead.  I went home and decided I was late so asked everyone but I was alright.  I rode Irving and some guy was crazy driving around the block to yell at me.  I took 34th to the park and it was beautiful.  I rode to market and was just in time to catch everyone at the Ferry Building.  Mom and dad had just come from Pier 70.  We walked around and then got sandwiches.  I traded messages with a friend about baseball.

While eating we talked about family and my parents plied my ex with questions about what she was doing for a living.  We went for a walk then and mom tried to get us into the Exploratorium but that was not possible so we looked at the outdoor exhibits.  We returned to Pier Three and had coffee.  Mom and dad made their goodbyes and she and I discussed my career.  She said it was not as dire as I made it sound.  We went to the Slanted Door then and where we mostly talked about our relationship.  I was glad for that.  Initially I described my relationship with other women but I only did this to provide some background over the discussion of what we would do in the future.  I noted that she tried to be critical but in the end signaled that she understood that I wanted to stay in touch.  We talked a bit about the future but eventually things became trivial again and I started to think about the game.  We left the Slanted Door then and found her friend waiting at a Starbucks and I headed to the station after giving my ex-girlfriend a kiss goodbye.

At the station my attempts to get to the Inner Sunset were all foiled by the game—the N Judah would not come—so I left the bike and took the J to Duboce and walked to the Page.  Bum had the game dialed and eventually we won.  He broke some records.  I got a taco and jumped on a 6 and waited for the 71 or the N at Stanyan.  I walked from Judah home.  A girl I knew from high school sent me a dozen text messages.

The morning of the day that I wrote this I was up early but didn’t have to go until 7 because of my dentist appointment.  I took the 48 and then settled in for the amalgam on the left side of my head be drilled out.  I deferred on making plans for more but noted that I would probably get more done in a few weeks.  I got coffee and a paper and got the bike.  I boarded the wrong train but didn’t learn that until Lake Merritt.  At PHill the numbness had worn off.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment