Saturday, March 30, 2024

The Jedediah Smith Trail

On May 28, 2023, I wrote that the night before I finished writing just as the sun went down at our campsite near Folsom Lake. The boys had sort of automatically gone to bed. So, I packed a small bag and went in search of a way to charge the bike, which took some time given the custodian seemed to regard anyone wandering around the campsite as suspicious. However, I put in just enough time to get one of the bike batteries charged up. Then I went to bed.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this, the boys got up and we slowly broke everything down. It took about two hours and we left at 9:30. We went to the town of Folsom for refreshments – a coffee for myself and a shared sandwich – before continuing on The Jedediah Smith Trail with spectacular views of the American River as it leaves the foothills.

I got a video and we really enjoyed ourselves. While we were passing through the mine tailings, I asked the boys to walk it out into a pile of rocks, and we threw some around to see what was inside. At some point my boys complained about the heat and the ups and down. So, we had to go slow. They have a hard time riding their own bikes at times.

Eventually we arrived at Lake Natomas Swim and Sailing Center where we jumped into the lake. The water was still really cold. We got M&Ms from a vending machine and then rode along the Folsom South Canal. The path along the canal was surreal with grassy hills everywhere. It was also really hot and we dried out really quick after our swim. Eventually we found a segment of the Latrobe railway spur and road through office parks on Mercantile, Trade Center, Sun Center and Gold Center until we arrived at our hotel.

The boys swam in the pool for a while and I got the room key and unpacked. Later we rode my cargo bike to visit an old classmate of mine in Rancho Cordoba. We played T-ball in the yard with his kid and wife. She made us dinner. We played with toys and hit wiffle balls over the back fence. A short while later, the boys and I returned through White Rock Park to wind down at our hotel.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment