Wednesday, April 3, 2024

All The Way to Watt

In the morning of May 29, 2023, I woke my boys after my alarm at our hotel room in Rancho Cordova. We went down and had breakfast in the cafe. The waffles were great and the boys were very enthusiastic about the experience. After we went upstairs and packed, I let the boys go swimming. I checked out and jumped in the pool with them.

We got the bikes out and left for the American River Path. We rode through the neighborhoods to my old classmate‘s house, where we hung out long enough for a soda, and when their toddler went down for a nap we took off for Hagan Park. Then we rode quickly to Riverbend and had a Dr Pepper. Later we rode the levees all the way to Watt. The boys had no real problem riding their bikes on the trail. The path is mostly flat and the wind was manageable.

We had another snack and headed to Howe Boulevard and Sacramento State. By this point the trail was under construction so we only stayed on the levees. I mostly paced the boys until I needed speed. When we got to the local rail mainline near the Capital City Freeway, I noted that we were only about 20 minutes late to see Amtrak train five come down from the Sierra‘s and go into Sacramento. On previous trips we actually got to see the train pass over the river.

We went through the Exposition Center then and one of my boys told me that he wanted to attend the State Fair someday. I noted the old Sacramento Northern Railroad Bridge as we passed over it. Otherwise, the ride through town was unremarkable – aside from it going so smoothly. We finished off the snacks outside the Blue Diamond Factory.

We were perfectly on time for the 455 train but it left nearly 45 minutes late. The train trip from Sacramento to the Bay Area went really smoothly too. I started falling asleep on the train and we got some chips. When we got to the city, we went to Gott’s for dinner and I was pleased at how well the ride home turned out. We even worked together to bring stuff up the steps and watched TV.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment