Sunday, March 10, 2024

The Ferry Building for Butter

On April 14, 2023, I wrote that on Wednesday the 12th after work, I set up to go to the ferry building for Butter.

Some people showed up with a few others with whom I was well acquainted. They introduced me to a lady they knew – Butter Lap’s New Participant for the day. The ride to Fort Mason saw my acquaintances get a flat. So, I rode with their friend to the first stop where a bunch of new regulars showed up. My acquaintances appeared and I rode with them and their friend for the rest of the ride together.

As we were climbing past the Golden Gate Bridge and I rode over a curb in the parking lot and I should have been thrown from my bike but amazingly did not. I got the New Participant to take a picture of me and told her to send it to me. I rode with her to 25th and she was behind me on the climb.

At Legion of Honor, I hung out with the regulars. Later I rallied my acquaintances and their friend, the New Participant, to ride to Camino Del Mar. We had a lot of fun doing the loop and drop.

I kept calling our group “The Cool Kids” and I noted that I liked hanging out with the new person. At the top of the climb through Golden Gate Park, I went ahead. We nearly caught the fixed gear crew but I noted that they are very fast. We went through Panhandle Park and followed them to Bender’s. It was just the New Participant and I for that leg.

I sat with the regular cyclists since the fixed gear riders always arrive first and take the biggest table. I made certain everyone I knew had a seat but also pillaged everyone’s tater tot’s. I had a few beers and when the East Bay contingent headed out to BART I gave them hugs. Then I played pool with the guys until they kicked us out of the bar.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment