Monday, December 25, 2023

Wearing Their Costumes

On October 31, 2022, I wrote that the night before I had packed the bike at my father’s house and in the morning we left at 7:30. It wasn’t hard because I had organized a lot over the previous four days.

We rode to the waterfall in GGP in 10 minutes and made it to Pacific Heights by 8:10 which meant that we were early. I offered to give the boys their costumes but just ended up putting them in their backpacks against my better judgment.

I went to the cafe and set up the computer at home for work. Everything went fine all day.

Later I went to the school and the boys were in the school’s Halloween Parade but weren’t wearing their costumes which was kind of sad for me. I got the boys packed and we went to Golden Gate Park on the cargo bike via Clay, Euclid and Arguello.

Their mother met us at the ping-pong tables near 8th and Fulton and the four of us got some quesadillas at ninth and Lincoln. The meal was wonderful.

After that we rode to Funston and met up with another family of four– people we’d known for years. We walked with the four boys up 12th Avenue and I followed on the bike. Some parents had a table in front of their house offering box wine.

The youngest in our group was wearing a blue suit to look like the mayor in Paw Patrol and we all thought he looked adorable. He was very good with the other boys too. We walked to Kirkham and came back nearly to Lincoln.

A little later the boys’ mother got on her bike and headed to Alameda via the ferry and I hung out a bit longer with my boys and our companions. After that I took the boys to my father’s house where they quickly went to bed. My father and I chatted in the dining room for a while. He said he had had 20 trick-or-treaters.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment