Sunday, December 17, 2023

Get in The Big Pool

On September 5, 2022, I wrote that that morning I woke slowly knowing the boys would instantly start bothering me. When were out of the tent I had them dressed themselves and break down the tent. Then I told them to go out to the empty campsite across the way – it had bees apparently.

I rolled up the sleeping equipment and separated the clothes before getting dressed and then started prepping for food and oatmeal and hot cocoa. The boys had had at least two meltdowns at this point. The food was OK – they ate most of it. I managed to pack a lot after this without a lot of interruption. I noted that I hate doing it but my process works. I didn’t remember what the boys specific gripes were and they were not strident but I noted that I was troubled every time.

I had charged my battery the night before and my phone chargers that morning. We threw garbage away and left at almost 10:30. The ride had much the same as normal but but more since it was a major holiday.

At the swimming hole, The Inkwells, I parked down on the creek and we went over and I jumped in. There were a lot of young people but there were more parents than when we went the last few times. We had a snack and then I had them get in the big pool with me.

While sitting on the rocks I saw an acquaintance from Bike Party ride over the bridge with her two friends but they seemed slightly preoccupied. However, she did notice that I had yelled bike party at her.

We got going at around 12:30 and I knew that we were pressed for time to catch the ferry at 1:35 so we dumped garbage and I ran through San Geronimo Valley in about 20 minutes. Only one motorist was rude. Also, I made it nearly to the top of White Hill from the Woodacre turn off without being followed. There were a lot of cars going the other direction.

The drop to Fairfax didn’t top 39 mph and though one car was following us, the electronic camera signs all said to slow down so I knew we were going really fast. When we stopped between Fairfax and San Anselmo for water, I noted that we were six minutes ahead for catching our Ferry.

I was exhausted. The ride was calm after that and I noted that the climb over White Hill had turned out to be a boost. The boys were really nice.

At the ferry we went right in and boarded. I unpacked and went downstairs. I found my acquaintance from Bike Party and her friends on the ferry. We chatted and I discovered that I had met the other two people in her group at the campsite the night before and that they had been staying there all weekend. They said they hadn’t notice me on The Inkwells Bridge.

At the ferry building we rode home and I noted that Market Street was predictable. We unpacked in an orderly fashion and we spent the rest of the day recovering.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment