Monday, October 3, 2022

Planet of The Apes

In the morning of November 20, 2021, I wrote that my riding companions texted to say they were late when I had finished packing. We were headed to climb Planet of The Apes. I waited at Civic Center drinking coffee until they arrived and then we rode to Daly City and onward to South San Francisco. Then we rode up to King Street and Westborough.

The route we chose went behind baseball fields and had stairs and was not fun. Also, at the top, Westborough was too steep. We rested and rode to College - which I had forgotten - then we took Sharp Park Boulevard. We found the ride to Rockaway Beach pleasant and we discussed the design of the waste treatment plant before climbing the switchbacks. I told my companion’s about family gatherings there from when I was younger.

At Linda Mar, one of us had a flat so we had coffee and fixed it while watching the surfers. Then we rode through the Safeway parking lot and over to the trailhead Planet of The Apes (also known as San Pedro Mountain trail) was crowded. I rode quickly to the powerlines and we rested. They went ahead to the next segment. On the climb I would ring my bell and they would return their rings and at the top we found some shade.

The ride down was epic and there was a steep part then we rode what I realized was the local bus route through Montera along Sunshine Valley Road. We also went behind the airport to Pigeon Point and we found that the ride around the bay was really good. The sun was setting as we passed the RV Park and the coast route turned out good too and while we found that the Miramar Beach bridge was out, highway one had a path protector. At the hotel we unpacked and raced to the beach to catch the last light. I slipped in the mud on the way back, so had to change my pants at the hotel.

Later we braved Half Moon Bay’s Main Street. After looking at a couple restaurants, we settled on a Mexican place called Cantina at San Benito House and visited the brewery/tap room and listened to live music. We finished the night then at Cameron‘s which was adjacent to our hotel. The place was full of British memorabilia and finished the night playing cards in the hotel lobby.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment