Monday, January 9, 2017

A Glitch at Fourth

On 10 December I wrote that the K was seriously delayed because of a glitch at fourth and King. The ride was all right but my phone was nearly dead. I found the laughing Monk and talked to a group of people I had come to regard a my crowd when I came in. One of them, a database administrator was excited to see me and we talked while I made myself a plate. The organizers spoke then. I posted an image and tagged them. I saw other acquaintances come in. When the fundraising pledge ended I went for a beer – which the proprietor was providing for free. Later I was at the bar and a transit planner was standing there. She told me that she remembered me from our tweets. After that I had a conversation with the owner and his business acquaintance - a caterer. We tried to be as quiet as possible in the conversation went on and on. The caterer had a restaurant near by. Later I had a conversation with one of the organizers who I thought was probably one of my most favorite personalities. The core group left a bit later and I stood with some Canadians and eventually a couple of my acquaintances and I walked to the station. Some guy was talking to us too much. One of them took the train with me for a long while and we talked about car free stuff to Van Ness. She told me that she and the gang (this was about twenty years previous) used to go to a Chinese restaurant on ninth and the executive - a mere activist at the time - would hold court. They would be there as long as needed and no one complained. A local print shop owner who shared their fervor allowed them to print their newsletter at his shop on Cole. The ride took a while since it had to get through the tunnel. I told my acquaintance about the first time I saw her roommate and shared my feelings about her personality. I later asked her about about local political leadership. I made it clear that I had a lot of respect for what she did in the neighborhood.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I think your acquaintance was referring to Pot and Pan on Ninth Avenue who hosted those Bike activists' meetings. They closed their family restaurant when they were done putting their kids through college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Let me know next time you hear about Free Beer! ...even if it's all the way out 94124...cheers

    ReplyDelete