Friday, April 15, 2011

Farmer's Market Ride from the Sunset


On Saturdays I like to ride to the Embarcadero for the farmer's market. I did this a couple of times in the city of Long Beach when I lived there. In those cases Long Beach Cyclists would meet at various locations and leave for the Marina Pacifica area. For me the draw isn't so much the people I ride with, it is the fact that I can leave my bike with the SF Bicycle Coalition and wander around for hours.

I live on Ortega Street near the beach so I literally have to travel the entire length of the city west to east. However, the trip only ever runs me about an hour and a half. I usually leave at about 9:30 in the morning. While I often take Overlook Drive through Golden Gate Park I have lately taken Ortega all the way up to 16th Avenue instead. I take 16th to Lomita and climb up to the top of Lawton street. I coast to 7th, take a right on Hugo and a left on 3rd where I cross Frederick and follow the bike path down Kezar. I have found that this is the easiest way to get to the Waller Street Bike Practice Area: a great place to meet friends from other western parts of the city.

From here I like to ride through Pacific Heights both because of the spectacular views it affords of the bay as well as the fact that the easy rise is a great alternative to braving the traffic of Market street. To get there from Waller go under the Alvord lake Bridge across from Haight Street in the park, follow the bike path on the west of Kezar Drive, cross JFK and climb Conservatory Drive East until you get to a small forest path which cuts off to the right going UP hill. Here I like to get off the bike and walk a bit since the park can be nice.

This takes you to the corner of Stanyan and Fulton. Following Stanyan north leads to Geary Street. From here one can easily climb into Presidio Heights by crossing to Jordan through Laurel Village and again to Cherry at California until you arrive at Clay street. Taking a right at Clay one needs to pay attention to the best way to avoid the hills traveling west:

right on Walnut
left on Washington
right on Presidio
left on Jackson

The result is a slow rise with a couple of dips. I like to take a rest at Lyon street because the ride is about two thirds finished and the rest of the ride is mostly down.

From here I take Jackson to Webster and find it is best to travel slowly while controlling the lane since the traffic can be abysmal. However, there is a stop sign almost every block making the area relatively safe for those that scan and signal. After passing Alta Plaza Park and Filmore street, take a left at Webster and a quick right at Pacific and coast towards Van Ness.

I find that crossing the four blocks from from Franklin to Polk can be quite hazardous with all of the high traffic, one way streets and turning lanes. This is why I like to make this crossing on foot. When I get back on my bike I am across from the Jug Shop at Pacific and Polk. From here I climb into Russian Hill and subsequently coast down to Stockton where I turn left and go one block more to Broadway for a right.

From here the Farmer's Market is easy to find as you can simply drop to the bottom of the hill, take a right at Embarcadero and go on about six blocks.

SF Farmer's Market Bike Valet
8a-2p Harry Bridges Plaza
Ferry Building Marketplace
One Ferry Building
San Francisco, California 94111

For more info:
http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/bike_valet_parking.php
http://www.sfbike.org/?chain

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Happy to see you are using photos with better resolution :-)

    ReplyDelete