Monday, May 9, 2022

The Lake Natomas Bridges

On June 11 I wrote that the night before we went to bed very late. In the morning of the day that I wrote this I waited until the sun warmed my tent to get up. I had fallen asleep several times all night trying to zip my sleeping bag.

When I finally got out of the tent my companions were at the table. I set up the burners and started boiling for coffee. We made oatmeal and then I broke down the tent and sleeping stuff. We took till 11 to get ready to go.

We descended to the bike shop at Folsom-Auburn Road and I got coffee at the shop there. We rode past the Lake Natoma inn and onwards. Some guy on his phone was following right behind us along the path for a while. We did the lake Natomas bridges and I had to get water at the boat ramp.

The route after the Nimbus Dam was under construction and I was displeased. However, it was only a short trip to my old college classmate’s house after that. I confirmed our plans for later that summer, introduced my companions and got to know his family. I got to play his ukulele. We left a short while later.

We were a little rushed after that. However, I texted some acquaintances in Sacramento about our plans. We rode on the levees just past the suspension bridge at Sacramento State. Then we rode through a burn mark near the Cal Expo. We passed two large structures before going out to the SNRR train crossing at 16th St.

We found a good route down G Street and checked into our hotel. About seven of us met for a meal at the brewery next-door and then we went for a short walk to one of their houses nearby.

We sat in his living room and sampled a whole bunch of bitters and aperitifs - including fernet and China-China. We also got to look at a fancy vintage bicycle. The evening was really great. I got to connect with a lot of people I had known for a long time and was able to introduce them to new ones.

A short while later my companions and I walked over to a bar next-door to our hotel and had a beer.
This is an occasional series chronicling my life.

This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment