Saturday, February 5, 2022

Up Lone Mountain

On April 2 I wrote that the day before when my meetings were done I got some coffee and drove to see my brother’s neighbors in Grant’s Pass at the house they were remodeling. I noted that drivers on highway 199 are very rude but listening to the local radio station calmed my nerves.

The house was not too old but needed a lot of repairs. Apparently, it had been abandoned for a few years and had become overgrown. When I was done, I went into the town center to do laundry and visit the grocery store.

I went back to my brother’s place after I had had a bite to eat and found that my brother had already eaten. I took over with the kids. Unfortunately, when we finally went to bed I discovered that I didn’t have enough sheets.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this my brother was perfectly hospitable - making pancakes and coffee. However, I could tell that my presence was a source of stress so when he was cleaning up I tried to stay away.

After that my brother went to his office and the boys played in the forest while I met with my coworkers online. I finished up some work and then showed the boys around the property - the local flora - limke manzanita- and my brother’s composting toilet. We played with chalk.

Later, when my brother returned, we went on a walk. We took the boat to ferry across his river and walked through some of the fields he had on the far side. Then we borrowed the neighbor’s tractor - he called it a “mule” - and we climbed Up Lone Mountain.

When we returned, we had an amicable dinner and the boys went to bed great. My brother and I talked about life and looked at maps.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment