Thursday, February 17, 2022

Echo Valley Road

I wrote that the day before on April 25, 2021 I rode to Shiloh Road and crossed the 101. The bus wasn’t scheduled until 1 o’clock so I went to a neighborhood bakery.

The bus was quick and when I got to Cloverdale I confirmed Sunday service before going to the Wine Country Inn.

I spent a bit of time there before getting a bag of chips and a beer and visiting Cloverdale depot. Then I rode to an old cemetery on Crocker at East First and proceeded to River Park. I also went to Preston depot. I enjoyed the turkeys flying through the air.

I returned to the Crocker bridge and headed up river to The Geysers Road. I got photos of the old Preston Bridge Crossing and could see the track across the Russian River from there. I also had looked at an online resource which indicated that most of the historic town of Preston had been on the east side of the river there but didn’t see any evidence of it really.

I noted that The Geysers Road was folded and eroded in places but easily traversed. It wasn’t very steep either. It also wasn’t busy since it connects to the 101 at both ends and there isn’t much more than an RV Park called Thousand Trails and a few residential roads leading to the remnants of the town of Preston.

I asked the attendant at the RV Park about occupancy and forward vacancy. I snooped around the beach and then proceeded to the Russian River bridge all the while taking photos of the old tracks across the Russian River.

From there I followed Echo Valley Road to the railroad tracks. I ate my snack in the middle of the Echo Valley overpass and when I was done I left my bottle to be discovered. I rode back plucking fennel – not recommended.

When I got back from The Geysers Road, I stopped at Pick’s drive-through in the center of town. Later I went to the sawmill bar. I wore a mask, which I swear looked strange to the patrons and sat outside. Later I brought a beer back to the Inn.

In the morning of the day I wrote this I awoke to allergies and it was raining.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment