Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Immigrant and Yuba Gaps

On 30 January I wrote that I had shoveled the walk to the cross country path. My friend was excited about it and pushed me into this now. Later I sat in the living room until late. I also sat in the dining area around three in the morning.

I was in the bed for 25 minutes longer when everyone got up. Later I noted that there had been a lot of discussion about our outing for the day. Our hosts had skis and another person was driving so my friend and I grabbed our equipment and walked to the cross country ski place. I was really slow so quietly hung out in the ski shop until the others were done paying.

We had four sleds. Two were carrying kids, one was an equipment shed sled. Our hostess quietly took the last one – it was a double. I wasn’t good on my skis because I am a downhill skier. I was terrible with the supplies sled.

We took what seemed like the right path and our hostess called it Palisade. We descended on some tough hills. We broke a couple of times for a snack. At a crossroad I pointed out to her that we were on a maintenance trail. Everyone had to stop to debate what way to go. I thought it was obvious. I had to take a break by myself to get some fresh air.

When we were in agreement we had to ascend a crazy hill and I had to walk the double to the top.  The others had to practically crawl.  I waited quietly at the top drinking a beer. We rode across all of the main trails then to get back to the correct route. I really had fun. The mild slopes and cross-trails gave me a new perspective.

My friend and I were often at the front and though she had the double at this point she was in good spirits. When everyone caught up to us we were at the spot she had tackled me the night before. From there we went straight to the house. I have a lot of weight on my sled at that point.

We unloaded and I made sure that my first steps in that direction we’re done quietly and then I helped everyone else out. I took some time alone then to allow the house to settle in for the afternoon. When I returned upstairs the ladies had figured out quiet time and I put in the necessary effort.

When we all went back outside we returned our steps. However, one couple had to get a special route. I drank my beer with my friend while we waited for them to catch up. After that our hostess, my friend and I ditched. The ladies wanted to do something crazy so I headed back with the others when they caught up to us. We crossed paths with the host but I took a shortcut and unloaded. Later others unloaded too. We broke our stuff down when and when my friend showed up and she and I walked back – we threw snowballs. The host and hostess skied back.

At the house quiet time had ended. I was faded. The ladies made a yummy meal. I tried to tidy but it was impossible. I texted mom and my family at six. The host got back from the supermarket and we ate pasta. It was great. We wound the house down soon after.  My friend and I we sat on the porch for a while. After that we ate chocolate in the dining room. Later we sat in front of the fire talking until late.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I was up at five and got my friend awake. At 6:30 everything was still quiet. My friend went upstairs at eight and I followed her only a bit later. I made coffee and a meal for myself and then spent some time alone downstairs.

When I returned everyone except my friend and I was getting ready to go skiing. We said bye to them then and when they left we picked up the living room, packed our bags and started the laundry. After that we quietly went on the walk in the snow. Then we loaded the car checked the house and drove to Auburn.

The highway was crazy. Immigrant and Yuba Gaps are always packed and fast. I was happy to get off the highway at Auburn and drive toward Folsom for a while.  Later we drove to Yolo and Solano then. We stopped at Peet’s in Vacaville.

The drive back from Vacaville was unremarkable. I did nearly lose my life a few times but it would only have been to people living their lives dead on the inside. At the bridge the car was getting noisy and there was crazy traffic. We made the apartment at 5:30 when I realized I forgot my hat.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment