Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Clair Tappaan

On February 8, 2023, I wrote that when my boys and I arrived on our train in Truckee, a cab was waiting for us and drove us to our Chalet on Donner Pass – The Clair Tappaan. We checked in and got to bed pretty easily.

The boys woke at seven naturally. We got dressed and breakfast was immediately ready. The other two people staying at the lodge were there eating with us. I was pining for coffee but the pot was cold – I heated it up with water from the boiler. There were pancakes and bacon. I was chatty. When the food was done it was 830 and we went to the room for a moment but quickly headed to Sugerbowl resort.

The highway was low traffic but we had a hard time. When we got passed the parking lot, we took the gondola to the village. I texted friends and then we went to Judah looking for ski school. No one knew what we needed to do so 45 minutes later a lady at ski school booked us an instructor for 11 the next day. They also gave us rentals and we headed out for a couple rides.

I don’t snowboard so I was not helpful. The boys hated my help so later I took them to the lodge and gave them hot cocoa. When we were done with that we climbed the Jerome Hill express and went on a good run. Then we jumped on another lift tree and one of the boys went to the wrong way.

He was really far ahead of us so I just took the boards and set them up on an easier run. However, I really pissed them both off and they were really upset when we got back to the ski school. I took them to the lodge for sodas and texted some pictures to their mom.

We went to the village a bit later. We took the gondola back and walked to The Clair Tappaan. We wound down for the evening and the lodge served us dinner – pasta for me and corn dogs for the boys. That night, it was just us at the lodge. I did laundry. The boys played chess in the Louis and Clark room.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment