Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Observation Car

On June 9, 2022, I wrote that I woke up at 5:30 and 630 to get ready for a train trip to Reno. I made the boys cereal and myself coffee. We were all packed so getting dressed was the only hard part. My father was pretty much waiting at the door when my younger sister showed up to drive us to our bus bridge. Getting into the car turned out tricky because I always think I’m forgetting something and my kids always need help with sweaters and shoes. However, once I had my bag and thermos, she made sure we were all packed in the car.

My sister mentioned I didn’t need to use the Amtrak bus bridge from Salesforce Tower but I had scheduled it due to miscommunication anyway. I realized I was blessed that she was so helpful. She even had boosters for the boys, who were super well-adjusted during the drive. They pointed out how their mom takes them to school on Buchanan and I take them on Octavia.

We found a great spot near 555 mission and my sister gave the boys hugs and said bye to us. My father and I thanked her before she drove away. When we got to the bus stop. I immediately made friends with a woman and her kid who would end up sitting near us on the train.

On the bus I put on my KN95 and the torture began. I managed the boys and dad was able to sit alone. The bus circled the tower on city streets and climbed up on to the bridge. The boys pointed at all the stuff they knew. I shared a video about the Bay Bridge with them. I also showed them the new railroad pedestrian crossing in Emeryville.

We set up at the station when we got off the bus. Dad got coffee and I took one of the boys across the street so I could get an espresso. The Coast Starlight came and went and then we boarded our Zephyr train. I tried to get the most forward set of seats.

It took time to get checked in but then we went to the Observation Car. The lady downstairs in the concession liked the boys. We sat until Benicia and then returned to Dad who seemed comfortable. He went to get a hotdog and we followed.

When we were done I found a window with a view and sat with one of the boys while Dad went back to his seat with the other. However, they didn’t stay together very long as that one somehow miraculously reappeared next to us. I told him that’s not OK because little kids aren’t allowed to be unaccompanied on the train. Ironically, I later had to give him a Band-Aid because of a minor cut he could not stop talking about.

I missed taking pictures of Sacramento because I had left the phone with Dad. So we had to go back and check on him. Later we ate another snack in the Observation Car and I teased the boys. As we climbed up the canyon to Soda Springs, we sat with the lady and her daughter who we had met on the bus. However, near Donner Pass, we were speaking a lot less as we focused on getting pictures.

I almost missed buying a last beer as we approached Truckee. Then I sat with dad and sleepy kids as we slowly approached Reno. I got them organized and everyone on the train said bye to the boys as we deboarded.

When my older sister picked us up at the station, she told me she was driving my older brother’s rental car - he was staying with her. She dropped us off at the Atlantis. Dad checked us in and I immediately took the boys to the pool.

When we were done my older sister returned and took all of us to her West Reno house where we ate pizza. Her mother-in-law was there along with my nibblings, brother-in-law and brother. We played corn hole and made plans for the weekend as my nephew was graduating from High School.

Later when it was time to go my older brother tried to smuggle the boys out – it seemed like the switcheroo. Back at the hotel I put the boys in bed.

I walked to Virginia and went looking for a beer.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment