Sunday, July 9, 2023

River Bend Park

On May 16 2022 I wrote that we woke up in Rancho Cordoba Area on our bike trip around seven. We went to eat at the hotel breakfast room. They had complementary waffles and cereal. We finished by 9 o’clock and stopped for coffee across the street by 11.

We rode to the path and had to stop a lot. At some point I decided to take a shortcut to Hagan Community Park because the bike path tended to meander too much and I was a bit overwhelmed by the way the boys were lagging.

The boys played in the playground at Hagan before we continued on to River Bend Park where we stopped for a snack. At this point I was getting nervous about the boy’s speed and their relative abilities but I decided to just take a chance and go. That the boys kept lagging far behind was not encouraging but I noticed when I got them in front it worked.

The bridge at River Bend Park was great. I got the boys up on the levees from there and due to the straight nature of the paths there was able to get them to move a bit faster. We stopped at Watt, Howe, Capitol freeway and Highway 160. We also stopped near the California Exposition Center.

Admittedly, our whole experience at this point was fueled by my anxiety over having tiny kids in the middle of sundrenched nowhere. I tweeted everything - including my excitement at seeing the west bound Amtrak Zephyr crossing the Sacramento around 330.

Later, when we stopped for a rest at the Blue Diamond Factory on D in Sacramento, I noted that pushing to get to the station had had exhausted the boys, and I assured them that we were nearly done. We rode the 14 blocks to the station then and I bought some Gatorade at a liquor store on 16th St.

When we boarded the 5pm train to the Bay Area, I did what I could to make them comfortable before getting them some refreshments.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment