Friday, March 3, 2023

Soquel Road

On April 2, 2022, I wrote that the day before I met an acquaintance on 14th after filling my tires. We went to 17th and Folsom and met Bike Party. A bunch of people I knew were there. A few people were passing out flyers. I bumped my ankle on my pedal and screamed in agony in front of an acquaintance. It was awkward.

We rode 17th to Texas. We rode through the dog patch. I interacted with a couple of cool people until we went across the Illinois bridge. Some lady fell on the tracks. A guy we knew was looking for her boyfriend.

At Heron’s Head park I got to know some of the younger new people. I saw some old acquaintances and met their friends. A person we knew had had a fall and was recovering.

We rode on Cargo Street and Illinois. One of us wanted to take another way but the leader was intent. We headed through the port and set up at Pier 50. I sat with a couple I knew for a beer. That one guy gave us donuts. I spoke with another new face for a long time. I was making phrases from New Jersey.

We rode down the Embarcadero to the cruise ship terminal then. I stood with really cool people. I really connected with some of them. I let the ride leader know I was impressed. Several of us got together for the ride home. I said bye to everyone at ninth and market.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I woke at 6:30 but got up at 7:40. I made it to Townsend by eight and got coffee. I boarded at 8:28 and the trip to Diridon was OK.

Unfortunately VTA was very quick so I was not able to get coffee. I went to downtown Campbell and got coffee there.

I rode through Vasconia Reservoir and onward to Lexington reservoir. I took too many stops but I made it OK just fine. I got confused at the helipad. I climbed away from the reservoir and thought it would take forever but I found out it was OK.

I stopped at least five times before the top. I was warm and it felt like spring time.

I stopped at Mountain Charlie and got water. When I got to old Highway and Summit I was done climbing. I noted that summit was hard because I had to start slowing cars.

I thought that I could take a shortcut on Miller Street but it turned out that it went down into the creek. At Soquel Road I descended on the far side of the creek. The ride was really good. Near Soquel I had a hard time because it was flat. I also had to manage the traffic.

I checked in at my hotel and then I went to the Board rock. Then I went to a Thai place and finished the night off at blue Lagoon.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment